What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia

Any special tips on growing this plant? I've had my little plant for a month now, it's pretty healthy but not up to my standards as with the rest of my sundews... It's growing well, but I just want it to look like the pics on the net.
Any special care? Like what type of medium, temps, lighting, ect... So far I just have it growing along with my outdoor sundew colection like D. burmannii, D. capensis, D. spatulata,...
So far its pretty easy growing,why isn't the plant all to popular?

Soil: 3 parts peat to 1 part sand
Light:Shade from direct sunlight
Water:tray method
Temps:65-85 degrees works well for me
Humididy-55-70% works best

Hope this helps

Alex:)

I got that part down, but is there any special treatment? Because according to all other info on the net it sounds like its a capensis or something...

I find D.regia to be a s l o w grower
smile.gif

For me Drosera regia <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>had</span> always been an impossible to keep plant. Over the years I have germinated scores of them. They always expired before getting larger than 1/4 inch tall. I also have tried to grow 3 other clones. They hang on for a short time -- and then they too expire. One exception has been a clone I registered as Drosera regia 'Big Easy'. I obtained this clone in a 3 inch pot with about 2 inch high leaves. Since then I have propagated more than 500 plants from this one initial plant (a few by leaf cuttings in water, most by root cuttings). Very few plants have ever been lost once they start growing their own root systems.

I finally got around to trying some outside. Details later.

Ok, that's the info I was looking for. Thanks, do you know why they tend to die? Mine is just a small plant with two inch leaves.

I have never had luck with seedlings either. They are much easier to grow for me once they reach a certain size ~2in. I have also tried growing them outdoors in low humidity. They remained under 4in in height...

I'd never tried to grow the species from seed until the beginning of this year. I sowed about 10 seeds in April and had 100% success with germination.

Since then I've lost only 2 plants and the tallest of them is over 4 inches. I grow these in a mix of 2:1 peat and sand and have had no problems.

When they were around 1/2 inch tall many began to grow up out of the mix and looked unhealthy. I simply placed some peat around the exposed root and they took off again within a week or so.

Seandew,

Excellent report. Great info. I'm very anxious now to start some more Drosera regia seed and try your tip.

I use 1/2 peat and half sand.
I keep it in my greenhouse (no shade cloth in winter), so it has a lot of sun.
I keep it on the tray method.
It gets well fed.
It slowed down a little for the winter, and the leaves are a little shorter/broader. I'm expecting mine (and possibly your's) to perk up and get more leaves in spring.

Back