What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.macrantha

Hi,
well I got this d. macrantha for Christmas...
macrantha.jpg

And I'm wondering exactly how cold and bright and humid it needs to be...right now it's on the windowsill downstairs, sixty something F. day and night. Gets light from the south for a good part of the day. Should I leave it or put it outside, where it is rather cold (forties lowest) and humid...and bright...but there's wind. ..thanks!
Matt

Well I would guess outdoors would be better,except for the wind wich may be damageing,but as I have no experience with tuberous species I will leave this to someone more knowledgeable then myself to answer.

Very nice plant though:)

It wouldn't hurt to contact Seandew directly about this plant. Very nice pplant, Matt!

Try checking out the ICPS website and go to the seedback section and look at the seed starting instructions. Lots of good advice there about temps etc.

Glenn

I don't think the indoor temps are bad, but the outside ones are very close to AU Winter temps, I think. I would try the windowsill, if it's humid enough, and move it outside if no luck there.
Very interesting Christmas present.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi droseradude -

I have some D. macranthra about 2 years old from ICPS seed.

I love how yours has a little stake - since mine tend to flop over and grow in a tangle. They grow on my CP shelf under fluorescent lights, as the outdoor temps here in the northeast would kill them quickly.

I grow them in the 50:50 sand peat mix, tray method, lights on around 17 hours a day. With the lights on, I think the temperature where the plants sit is around 75 to 80 degrees. Not in a terrarium or anything. I feed them an occasional fruitfly too.

I hope this information helps. Good luck with it!

Bill

hmmmm...jimscott... I think maybe I do that if things start getting problems - thanks!...Griffin...thanks yea I'll just try it on the windowsill for now. BTW, I did look at the ICPS site. The thing I remember was not to let them overheat.
W.B. Thanks.. the temperatures are really helpful in your reply b/c I always thought they needed it very cool.
Oh, and it didn't come w/ a stake lol...it was flopped over...

By the look of the plant it seems as though you have D. macrantha ssp. planchonii which is much easier to grow than the WA forms.

It'll grow fine on your south facing window as they appreciate a good amount of light but can still grow well without it. What is 40F in celcius? Plants growing in the wild near my house experience temps down to 0 deg C on some nights in winter but temps around 2-6 deg C is normal for most nights. Day temps don't get much higher than 17 deg C during the growing season.

They may grow OK with higher temps but will always grow better with cooler ones. Many of the plants in my greenhouse did poorly this year as the temps got much higher than usual.

I'm growing mine outdoors. It seems to be growing well even though it's a little cold. This is my first year growing this plant, but it doesn't seem all too hard.

Hmm... thanks for advice.
I dun know the formula for Celcius to fahrenheit...but I think if Larry is growing his outside I can (we live relatively close)

Back