What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regia 'Big Easy'

schloaty

Staff member
Ok, I'm not actually sure this is a problem, but since bringing the 'Big Easy' inside for the winter (under lights, humidity rages between 40% and 55%), it has slowed down (expected), but the new leaves growing are shorter and broader...and they certainly aren't growing at a rate to keep up with the older ones dying off....Is this just a pseudo-dormancy, or is there a problem?

I wanted to try root cuttings, but now I'm afraid to!

I haven't actually experienced the behavior you describe, though I believe that Tamlin has reported such behavior.

This season is the first time I have kept any outside over the winter. The ones outside died back to their crowns after a few frosts down to about 17F.

I would suggest that now might be a good time to take a few root cuttings. Paranoid that I am, I usually propagate every new plant I get as soon as I receive them. This way, if anything happens to the original new receipt, the propagules can take its place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Jan. 04 2005,7:46)]since bringing the 'Big Easy' inside for the winter (under lights, humidity rages between 40% and 55%), it has slowed down (expected), but the new leaves growing are shorter and broader
I am wondering whether the sudden change in "climate" shocked the plant somewhat.

When i bought my regia from Peter D'Amato, he said that it does have dormancy, but it does not always go in to dormancy, or at least not all the way. He said that it was mainly determined by the plant flowering when it aged more.

Back