What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple general care ?'s on some new dews....

Drosera admirabilis and Drosera venusta, i just recieved these two from Phil and his recent trade offer. there is no info on admirabilis in the Savage garden and minimal on venusta other than mature size and its an African species. so what can you guys and gals tell me about admirablis, location in the wild, any special care i need to know about?

on venusta, will it be happy sitting with my capensis and madagascarensis? or does it need some special care?

one last set of questions. i recieved a couple D. madigascarensis "Botswana" from Copper awhile back, unfortunatly they do not think they need to grow upright. although they look quite healthy, and are growing, they just kinda flop over. is this normal? can this species be propigated by leaf cuttings? also how tall do they get? if i were to stand them up they would be about 2 inches high and one is already flowering.

For the D. venusta, mine does best growing next to D. adelae. Indoors under flourescent light with mid-70 temps. It reacted very poorly when I tried to relocate it outdoors with my D. capensis forms. I would avoid direct sunlight with that plant but other than that its not all that fussy.

Im assuming that "Phil" is "philcula". If so, and you got a packet of D. scorpioides gemmae in that shipment, those are from my plants. They were started indoors last fall and relocated outside next to my vft's and Sars in February and grew fine there all summer long (low humidity, direct sun, +100* temps often) so those should be fine next to your D. capensis forms.

Good luck,
Steve

yep there were some gemmae in there with a label saying they came from you. i just placed them in the "thin" side of my scorpiodes pot. thanks for the info. unfortunately i cant grow adelae. it does good for awhile than crashes. 95% of my plants are under lights and thats where i placed it, next to my capensis. it should do fine i think

huh no one else? well i did a search on D. admirablis didnt find much but on several growlists i found referances to locales in RSA so i guess its another African species. so im just going to guess, no special care and it should be happy growing along side the rest of my "typical" 'dews like capensis, spatulata, nidiformis and those types.

so does anyone know if you can propogate madigascarensis by leaf cuttings or are yah going to leave it to me to experiment?
smile_m_32.gif

Well If you want specific info on your exact plant, the best person to ask would be Phil himself. I believe that the D. admirabilis plants are grown in the same greenhouse as the D. venusta plant you got from him so I would suggest to start off treating them both exactly the same way.

Steve

rattler,
I'm growing D. admirabilis, and just put it with my other drosera, including D. capensis and D. madagascariensis under fluorescents on a rack, household temperatures. It's happy as a clam and is growing and flowering. I'd speculate it's pretty easy and flexible.

Capslock

Steve the problem is i dont have a greenhouse and have no experiance growing tropical/semitropical plants in a greenhouse. for species that there doesnt seem to be much data on i like to find out how a handful of ppl are growing it cause it gives me a better idea of what it needs and go from there. before i came across growlists with admirablis locales from South Africa, as far as i knew the species could have been from the highlands of South America. i was prety sure D. venusta was going to be happy beside nidiformis and capensis going by the Savage Garden. even a greenhouse can have various "micro-climates"
smile_n_32.gif

For admirablis it will grow fine in the normal mix with same everything except you may need a big pot because of all the roots. D. madigascaris can be cut off near the ground and new shoots will come up and stand up-right. The cuttings can be placed in a terrarium and they will root very easily. You should of course only try this with one plant at first incase you mess up.

One thing to know about D.admirabilis, at least under my own experience, is that it does not likes high temps for prolongued periods. I think it likes the same temps as D.regia and other south africans.

Hmmmmmmm, in my experience, venusta and admirabilis are very easy.
I grow them on my windowsill with my D.aliciae

Back