What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signs of life returning!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was given D. anglica & D. filiformis this Spring and I put them outside for the Summer & Fall. By November, they were looking pretty ragged. So I brought them to the lab, in a 65-70 degree room. It has been now been two months and the D. binata is sending up two new leaves. D. filiformis had turned totally black and I had given it up for dead. Now I see green growth emerging. Both plants are supposed to be non-dormancy cultivars, having successfully "died back". Is it too soon for them to be coming to life? Is the realtively warm temperature and / or the slightly lengthening photoperiod kicking in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 07 2005,2:15)]... the D. binata is sending up two new leaves. D. filiformis ... I see green growth emerging. Both plants are supposed to be non-dormancy cultivars ...
When theory and observation are in conflict, discard the theory and focus on the observation. Green leaves from "dead" plants are a good sign!

Naw, jimscotscoot.. it's a good thing! As you know, my D. adelae sprouted back last month, when it was still 30s and 40s outside.

How long does D. adelae play 'possum before it comes back to life?

Oh hell, that statistic is totally random.. two, three, four months, you never know.

Hmmmmm... 3 weeks obviously wasn't enough! Oops!
biggrin.gif

You know what I meant.

I have found that the frequently observed die-back of Drosera adelae to often be caused by an attack of spider mites. At least mine usually is. If living material has survived, a thorough treatment to eliminate spider mites will usually elicit the most rapid recovery. Sometimes I have had success submerging the entire plant beneath the water and agitating to eliminate air pockets will often rescue a plant so attacked.

Back