What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. 'sp. d8 borneo,'

• Thread starter homer
  • Start date
Does anyone know if D. 'sp. D8 Borneo' self-pollinates and produce viable seed?

-Homer

If this is Drosera spatulata (it should be if it goes by that name) then the answer is yes. Keep in mind that these "Sp." individuals are often not what they purport to be. The plants I cultivate under that name are notable for their few flowered, short and very glandular scapes and fat elongated seed capsules. The rosettes are diminuative, and the plants produce much seed by selfing.

I had that a loooong time ago and yes they do. if you can cach the flowers in bloom, a very lovey pink color, if I remember.
And yes, as Tamlin mentioned, it is supposed to be D. spatulata(spoon-shaped leaves type).
I don't know if anyone can even confirm that they come from Borneo...

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Keep in mind that these "Sp." individuals are often not what they purport to be.

I grew these from seed last April. The seed was collected by Ivan Snyder back in October of 2003. From what you describe, these plants fit your description perfectly.

thanks,

Homer

The small D. "Sp. 8 Borneo" is likely from that area. The small form seems to be represtative of D. spatulata from this area. I cultivate several of the Borneo forms, and although all are variable none of the others have the same stalked glands on the flower scape. All of them are pygmy sized compared to other examples within the species. I also believe a lot of what is circulating as D. biflora are in fact this form since it has come up a few times from seed so labeled. Of course, there is no assurance that what I cultivate is in fact "Sp. 8 Borneo", a sad fact of life when it comes to the identity of previously unpublished taxa.

My two D8 Borneo's (from South Sound Carnivores) look like miniture spatulatas, about half an inch across and were full grown when I got them. The two pink flowers I have had had no seed, but maybe because they flowered right after I got them.

What exactly is a D. sp. cuba 1? I received seeds last Spring and am getting second generation plants? Is it a spatulata or an intermedia or...?

Back