What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brought a d. dichotoma out of dormancy!

Hey, this is the first sundew i've brought out of dormancy, the other ones that i have don't go dormant. Anyway, when i bought it in august, it was deep in dormancy. They didn't really know that, so i bought it for half price, and figured, if it's dead, so what, it only cost 5 dollars, if i wake it up, then great!

So i woke it up, and now i'm wondering if it will get in to a normal cycle of dormancy in the winter and growth in summer. Can anyone give me some pointers?

I'm thinking that as long as it is awake and is now being exposed to the normal cues of increased photoperiod and slowly warming temps, it will go back into a normal growing cycle. We're not too far off from bringing dormancy requiring plants into a new growing season. Where are you keeping it?

I have a filliformis, all red variety, that formed a hibernacula in May...two years running.  This year it finally figured out the correct time schedule and started dormancy in October.

I find this species to be an opportunistic grower, growing well when there are suitable growing conditions, and reverting to a non-growing/dormant state when they are not. If your plant has resumed growth, the trick will be to be able to provide sufficient light to maintain it in a thrifty condition through the darker winter season. This species likes to etiolate with insufficient light and will squander its energy stores doing so. Grow the plant outside if the conditions will allow it, or close as possible under as much light as you can produce indoors. Generally, I keep my plants just above freezing once growth stops in October, bringing them into production again just as I do the Sarracenia.

I am growing my dichotoma in my warmhouse. It gets plenty of sunlight, as there is no shade cloth for the winter.

You said that dichotoma was an opportunistic grower dawnstar? That's good, i can enjoy it all year round, as it is assembled mainly for nepenthes. My plants that need dormancy find it fine, so i figure that i got it right.

Back