What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis (all red) babies

I am relatively sure my D. filliformis 'All Red' seed has germinated.  

c1872087.jpg

If these are in fact baby 'All Reds', they are my first cp germination success and that means it is time to uncork the bubbly!

I need to know what to do from here please.

Shouldn't those be labeled as F2 generation or something? Thought I read about that somewhere, because selfed seed offspring isn't as red or the "true" red form of capensis.

I can easily write F2 on the container.  Would you please comment as to whether these are actually Drosera sprouting or weeds. They are so tiny I had to really enlarge the image to take a look see.  It would make me very happy to find out regardless of whether they are an F2 or not.

I suppose somebody best explain the concept of F2 to me while we're at it.
Thanks much, Laura

They're Drosera seedlings! You can already see they're sporting carnivorous leaves.

Amori

Time to crack out the bubbly!  Oops, no bubble and will have to make do with a Mike's Hard Lemonade.  Where's my buddy Jim??? I want him to see my first CP babies!

Hey, I forgot...
What do I do with the F2?  Do I add it or leave it off?  Would someone please explain to me the F2 deal. Thanks, Laura

Don't add it, I would like F2 generations to be explained by someone fluent in the field of it, as I do not understand it myself, as I don't use it everyday, better to wait for someone to explain it.

Yes, and aren't ma babies purty little thangs!

I'm thinking we might want to ask Brooks about this F2 deal.

Here's what I cut and pasted from Jim's link-
GEN Set A Using the Correct Symbols for Genotype and Phenotype
GEN Set B Using Punnet Squares
GEN Set C Predicting the Sex of Human Offspring Using Punnet Squares  
GEN Set D Autosomal Recessive Mode of Inheritance: Sickle Cell Anemia and Cystic Fibrosis
GEN Set E Autosomal Dominant Mode of Inheritance: Huntington's Chorea and Tay-Sach's Syndrome
GEN Set F Sex-linked Recessive Mode of Inheritance: Hemophilia and X-linked Color Blindness
GEN Set G Predicting the Outcome of a Monohybrid Cross
GEN Set H Predicting the Outcome of a Dihybrid Cross
GEN Set I Making Your Own Dihybrid Cross

F1 generation punnett square:

C   C
c Cc Cc

c Cc Cc

F2 generation:

C    c
C CC  cc

c Cc   cc

So, only differences are that F1 offspring have dominant and recessive traits but will show dominance and F2 generation offspring will have 1 purebred for domant characteristic "C" 2 purebreds for recessive "C" and 1 dominant hybrid.

The other difference is the F1 offspring were from purebred dominant and purebred recessive parents. F2 offspring were from both dominant hybrids.

It looks very much like your seedlings could be Drosera filiformis (all red).
---------
Concerning using an F2 designation for these plants:

There are generally considered to be two sources of "hybrids":

Intraspecific - involving plants of only one species, i.e. different clones or cultivars of plants considered to be the same species.

Interspecific - involving plants of different species or genera (Intergeneric)
--------
Most often filial generation is used to refer to subsequent generations of plants sexually reproduced from the offspring of an initial hybrid designated F1 (First filial generation = progeny of Hybrid parent A x Hybrid parent B), interspecific hybrids.

It is also possible that intraspecific crosses can be considered "hybrids", however, this is usually not done in horticulture. F2 and other filial generations are crosses between or selfings of F1 or following filial generations (i.e. F2, F3, F4, etc.), only F1 are the progeny of the initial hybrid cross, whether intraspecific or interspecific in origin. The genetic effects are similar for these two groups of “hybrids” of disparate origins, but the results can be dramatically dissimilar, intraspecific hybrids usually show very minor or certain easily predictable variation between progeny, especially in F2 and subsequent segregating populations. Hybrids of interspecific origins generally exhibit much greater variation in subsequent generations, F2 and later are especially divergent showing wide variations between offspring.

Is that what my punnett square deal thing shows Joe?

Mystery solved. The seeds I received were from open pollinated plants grown from genetically different seeds and should all come true as 'all reds'.

They are not an F2.

Dustin,
Yes, the punnett square does indicate the basics of the concept, though the nuances of the realities of the relative uniformity of the F1 generation plants and the segregation of F2 and later generations can more easily be understood by actually experiencing the process.

I have a dusty BS in biology...more dusty than I though after trying to follow that thread, lol.

I don't remember much beyond SIMPLE Mendelian genetics.  
biggrin.gif
Joe, that's a good site. Reminds me of 12th grade bio. And to think I thought plant reproduction was boring....

They are all beginning to get a red "tinge" to them!
b5a8c069.jpg

Back