What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis propagation

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So I got to thinking, after reading Barry's article in the CPN, are there any other lost propogatin techniques out there. So I was reading Slack's second book and saw that he says that Byblis gigantea can be propogated via stem cuttings. He claims that there is an almost 100% success rate with this method!! So my question is, has anyone ever tried this?? Because it seems to me that it would sure beat having to grow this beast from seed if someone could just clone a whole bunch for trade.

Sounds like another good CPN article in the making, to me.

Cheers,

Joe

Its in The Pietropaleo's book Carnivorous Plants of the World. IT tells how to do it.

Slack's book also tells how to do it, a couple three paragraphs if I am remembering right.

So, do we not turn to our old favorites enough and rely on "Savage Garden, instead?"

Cheers,

Joe

I personally think a lot of good books have taken the back seat to SG. Not necessarily because SG is better just that it is 1) still in print 2) is so well known and 3) is on Barry's site which is probably what most newbies find first.

Slack seems to have taken on the status of a myth to most of the new generation of CPers, as have many of the old hands at this. I still remember the first book on CPs that I read and I do not think I have once heard it brought up by anyone in the community but in its day it was extrememly good.

I would personally advocate that everyone who claims to be a CPer needs to go out and read all the CP books they can find (try libraries) because there are some that cover information that SG never even touches on.

Not only that, Pyro, but everyone who claims to be a CPer should be experimenting from time to time, and not just relying on ANY book. Everyone's experiences are different (for example, I've never been able to propagate ANYTHING in a glass of water.) The people who wrote those books are just like the rest of us, and write based on their experiences and accumulated knowledge. I love my Savage Garden book, but know that it just reflects the experiences and knowledge of D'Amato. He'd be the first one to tell you that there are other ways and methodsand facts, and that there are mistakes in the book. What I like is how user-friendly it is, and how it seems to generate enthusiasm for the hobby. It's more of a hobbyists book than a scientific tome.

Anyway, who's going to try the stem-cutting with Byblis???

Capslock

I nominate ......somebody who has one.
smile_l_32.gif

Capslock & Pyro: I have done evrything you guys have suggested and predicted. I found and perused S.G. & CP's of Canada and the US in Borders and Barnes & Noble. I brought S. G. to the local ibrary - twice. I finally got S.G. for Christmas. I have done much experimentation with soil media, throwaway pipette dispenser containers for germination, and subjected my cobra lily to the unpredictible torrents of the streamlet behind our townhouse. Um, THAT experiment didn't work out so well. Neither did the continuous drip thing from the AC discharge pipe. Me and Edison have a couple things in common. I just have a lot fewer patents! I thoroughly enjoyed Barry Rice's FAQ - especially the dead skin tissue piece. I'm ready for another year!
smile.gif

I will try the byblis thing if my byblis sprouts and I get more then one. I have heard that Drosophyllum does not really produce a toxin and most of Slacks mixtures will kill many cps. I have not tried any of his mixtures because 1) they are a lot more expensive then SG's 2) are quite odd and would presumibly have nutriants.

Hmmm... I do not recall any of Slack's mixes being odd or expensive or toxic. Most are peat, sand and sphag based. Some (like Neps and Utrics) suggest orchid bark. And I think he recommends domolite for some of the Pings. The oddest thing I think he calls for is John Innes Compost #2 for Ceph (which I have heard is actually a good idea) and for Drosophyllum

The only toxic comment I remember of Slack , is he says perlite is no good for VFTs, but I see it in many people's pots of VFTs.

We need to write a new book that contains many people's experiences. Who wants too? We could all help by writing little sections and stuff and contributing pics. Come on, it will be fun!
smile.gif

Hey Sunpitcher it is already in the works. Email me at Treaqum@yahoo.com if you want to be in on it. Or pm me for info

I went to my college library and got a book on cps before I preordered my S.G. The book is called carnivorous plants (obviously
smile_n_32.gif
) and it's by Randall Schwartz and there's a small paragraph that talks about byblis propagation.

"The thickest part of the entral root can also be used for propagation. When repotting, take pieces about one inch long and place them on top of some darn sphagnum. Cover the pot with plastic to help keep it moist. In about a month you should have a new plant."

A bit short but still good even though i don't have a byblis to experiment on *wink,wink*

Does this technique apply to B. gigantea only? How about liniflora?

I thi\ink it applies to both

B. liniflora flowers and sets seed on it's own(handy when you are an annual), so one would not need to propagate like that. You can always experiment , though.

Cheers,

Joe

Back