What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides has arrived!

I just recieved some D. scorpioides in the mail, and i was wondering how long it takes for them to grow up. They are just sprouting from gemmae. Also, the were bare root, do i have to bury the little root, or do i just have to place it on top of the media, and let it burrow down?

Thanks
Dave

Were they plants of gemmae? If gemmae they should grow down. If plants definatly bury the root

Put them in a tall pot with a mix of 70-80% sand and peat. If they are already beginning to sprout, poke the tiny root into the soil as best you can. If not, make sure the "bump" side is up and the smooth side down. Put the pot in a deep tray of water so the water level is roughly 1/4 the way up the side of the pot and put the whole thing under fluorescent lights. They should sprout within a couple weeks but can be viable for a month or more. You live near me so your weather is ideal for D. scorpioides, in late Feb-early March, move them outside in full sun and treat them like a VFT or Sarr. My D.scorpioides plants did very well here in San Jose all summer long. They showed absolutely no ill effect from the 100+ degree weather or the low teens humidity.

Good luck
Steve

Back