User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. capensis flowering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a D. capensis flowering now. I was wondering how to sow the seed. I would appreciate tips on what i should do to get them to germinate, and to keep em' alive until they get above the infancy stage.

Thanks
    Dave

P.S. It's the red variation.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say just sprinkle a few around the mother plant. D. capensis is extremely hearty and will quickly become a weed in your collection... pretty soon you will be making posts along the lines of "Ugghhh my D. capensis is flowering AGAIN.... :- ( How do I make it stop" lol

You will have plenty of seed to experiment with if it does actually make seed (Im not sure about the red form but all my others are massive seed producers) I would say experiment some, try different methods of growing the seeds and see what works best.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    capensis is simple, sprinkle seed on moist soil and wait. you should see tiny lil seedlings within 10 days.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait until the flower buds turn brown and then remove them. If the whole stalk is done, I cut off the stalk and put it into a paper envelope and let the buds open and dump the seeds. Sometimes I have cut off individual buds into an envelope. Then, like others have said, just sprinkle them into a pot of moist peat. I also like to use chopped pure LFS. I've had good germination success with that.

I'm glad your capensis is doing well for you. Now you will have lots of babies. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might seel em' on CPUK for 50 cents if i get enough.

So what you said PlantAKiss, do i do that before they bloom or after? Are the buds what come before blooming? If so, i'd like to leave it on the plant until they bloom, and once the flowers die, then i put em' in the bag and wait until i get the seed pods.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not good at gauging when to pluck the seed pods, so i wrap the scape in cheesecloth untill they pop. that way they wont fall out.

but for capensis i just cut the scapes off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a good idea. I will take a small bag, and wrap it around the top of the flower stalk with a bit of tape. Assuming it doesn't pull the stalk over, it will collect the seed once they "pop" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]