What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoping i could get some help

Hey, this is my first post. I'm new to posting and growing carnivorous plants. I've been reading these posts and you guys seem to know what you're talking about. I have a venus flytrap and a Nepenthes, and I'm getting more flytraps. I'm looking into sundews though. they seem very interesting, and prettier than others. I'm really looking for suggestions for a good sundew to plant, me being new to this. I saw a D. filiformis or something like that on antoher site, and that looked pretty cool. Any help would be welcome.
thanks.

Hey veritas, welcome to the forums!
As far as Drosera go, I'd aim for the easier-to-cultivate species such as D. aliciae, D. spatulata, D. capensis, D. adelae, and so on. I'm sure other more experienced members will be able to make recommendations.

Amori

Hi and welcome to the forums! An excellent and easily accessible sundew is the the Drosera spatulata. So are D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia.

There are a lot of great sundews. For your first attempt, try a Drosera capensis. They are easy to grow and you have to really try hard to kill them. If you want to see photos of nearly every carnivorous plant, look at the CP Photo Finder (link below).

Welcom to the forums veritas00000.

The ones that shokuchuu mentioned are great sundews to start out with. D. capensis has to be the toughest.

Lets give him a spatulata
smile.gif
Or capensis

Hye guys, thanks for the help. I literally posted this less than half an hour ago. within 2 minutes, I got a reply. Thats crazy. Anyway, I sent a private message to a very generous person that was giving away seeds, so I guess D. capensis is it.
thanks again

D. capensis was my first plant. I found it easier than the Venus Flytrap. D. adelae and D. spatulata are two that i grow, and i have found them to be very easy. I have a picture of D. capensis and D. adelae in a topic of mine further down.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 27 2005,7:44)]D. capensis was my first plant. I found it easier than the Venus Flytrap. D. adelae and D. spatulata are two that i grow, and i have found them to be very easy. I have a picture of D. capensis and D. adelae in a topic of mine further down.
I have found D. adelae to be quite problematic.

Welcome to the formus !!
Another good one to consider is D. tokaiensis (also known as D. spatulata "Kansai")
It is a natural hypbrid of D. rotundifolia and D. spatulata and seems to exhibit the good tendencies of both- no dormancy, quite cold resistant, don't seem too picky about light (I've had a huge forest of them growing on my windowsill all winter, and I live in the Great White North)
If I can get them to flower I will be overrun with seeds, so keep an eye on the Trading post as I will likely have hordes of them in not too long
Happy Growing!!

Heres an article on careing for Drosera species that I wrote. I grouped the genus up into 4 sections, Temperate, Tropical/Subtropical, etc. At the end of each group, I give a few examples of easier to care species. Hope that helps. Zongyi
P.S. pm me any critisims, like spelling errors, cultivation suggestions, etc.

Zongyi_Yang,
Where is your article?

ill throw my vote in for D. capensis as well. its an extreamly easy one to find and as far as im concerned few Drosera look better than a good sized well grown "typical" capensis.

Back