What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was taking stock of my collection and notice what looks like a new plant ~1.5" away from the mother plant. Is this species known to produce plantlets?

Some forms of D. binata reproduce (clones) like mad from the roots. Other binata forms tend to be less vigorous in producing plantlets.

Congrats. Welcome to the wonderful world of binata. It can be produced via root and leaf cuttings also. Root are much easier though

As a rule, are root cutting easier? I am hopeless with EVERYTHING that involves cutting.

I have dichotoma, does that produce plantlets?

I do know that binata can do that, i don't know which types are more prone or not though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 27 2005,4:46)]I have dichotoma, does that produce plantlets? I do know that binata can do that ...
dichotoma is binata.

Thanks for the input! Those leaves are like having strawberry runners. Can I take a leaf and cover an a portion of it with soil or do I neen to cut one off at the base? Should it be cut into several pieces, like a filiformis?

Off my d. binata dichotoma small form, leaves are as prolific in plantlet production as the root. D. binata dichotoma small form is almost non existant in US collections anymore, but I still have a plant, and have given away 2 bunches of plants. Pyro and Wesley have some, ask them if they are doing well. Mine are doing fantastic, even living outside and freezing this year.

I ahve D. multifida extrema, its producing a couple of new plantlets for me, but they are a lot smaller then the mother plant.
I read in D'amatos book that binata and all its related plants(dichotoma etc) will produce plantlets at some stage, though some do it like mad, and others take a bit longer to start producing platlets. I also read that when the plantlet is big enough, the root thats connecting it to the mother plant can be snapped off and they can be potted seperatly.

If you have a plantlet growing at anystage, or about 1/2 inch of root you can snap it off and get a new plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Jan. 28 2005,4:36)]If you have a plantlet growing at anystage, or about 1/2 inch of root you can snap it off and get a new plant.
personally, I would wait untill the plantlet is quite big and strong and has its own root system before snapping off, but your method is good too.
smile.gif

Back