Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. binata

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taking stock of my collection and notice what looks like a new plant ~1.5" away from the mother plant. Is this species known to produce plantlets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some forms of D. binata reproduce (clones) like mad from the roots. Other binata forms tend to be less vigorous in producing plantlets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Welcome to the wonderful world of binata. It can be produced via root and leaf cuttings also. Root are much easier though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a rule, are root cutting easier? I am hopeless with EVERYTHING that involves cutting.

I have dichotoma, does that produce plantlets?

I do know that binata can do that, i don't know which types are more prone or not though.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Jan. 27 2005,4:46)]I have dichotoma, does that produce plantlets? I do know that binata can do that ...
    dichotoma is binata.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input! Those leaves are like having strawberry runners. Can I take a leaf and cover an a portion of it with soil or do I neen to cut one off at the base? Should it be cut into several pieces, like a filiformis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off my d. binata dichotoma small form, leaves are as prolific in plantlet production as the root. D. binata dichotoma small form is almost non existant in US collections anymore, but I still have a plant, and have given away 2 bunches of plants. Pyro and Wesley have some, ask them if they are doing well. Mine are doing fantastic, even living outside and freezing this year.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ahve D. multifida extrema, its producing a couple of new plantlets for me, but they are a lot smaller then the mother plant.
    I read in D'amatos book that binata and all its related plants(dichotoma etc) will produce plantlets at some stage, though some do it like mad, and others take a bit longer to start producing platlets. I also read that when the plantlet is big enough, the root thats connecting it to the mother plant can be snapped off and they can be potted seperatly.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast