What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Feb. 01 2005,12:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 01 2005,7:07)]I don't have any capensis until I sow some seed, but I had only one flower-ever. I had it continously for 15 years or so. I have no explanation for that. Maybe lack of feeding?
One capensis flower in 15 years? Weird! How were you growing it? It must be that Nebraska vortex (or whatever Dorothy and Toto encountered).
Hahaha...that was Kansas, Bob, not that you would know the difference if you were driving through either state, lol.
I think it was in 10 gallon tanks, 4" pots with LFS and the tray method. D. spatulata , D. dielsieana ect. flowered profusely.
It was a large narrow -leaf variety that Sean Samia gave me , too. It flowered very soon after I got it, and it was probably planning it before it realized it was caught in the "Nebraska Vortex."

Cheers,

Joe

rattler_mt,
Nice looking Drosera capensis and Drosera 'Albino'.

thanks, i wish i would have paid attention to where thay are sitting more. they got hit with a cold draft on one of our -40 days when i went out the back door and they really didnt appreciate it and frost bit some of the leaves. they are growing well again now though. that photo is taken about 4 days before they got blasted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 01 2005,11:56)]Hahaha...that was Kansas, Bob, not that you would know the difference if you were driving through either state, lol.
That's right! Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma ... whatever. Anything east of the Sierra is back east.

Here's my baby from last June, with a barely discernible flower stalk emerging.

136.jpg

Is yours grown outside?

Yes and no. I bought that plant a year ago and had it inside, on a window sill. Bringinging it into work, on a 15 degree day put into shock immediately. Nearly all of its leaves withered. A week later its first new leaf appeared. By June, it looked like the picture. I put it outside for the remainder of summer and into mid-November. Its second flower I cut off because it ws looking ragged. I let its third stalk flower and brought all my plants inside. Last week I saw aphids. I hastily tossed the plant. I have another plant, that also has aphids. this one I put into a taller container and filled it with water to drown the aphids. That was yesterday and I DID see one floating, struggling aphid. I will be keeping my capensis indoors from now on, along with spatulata and a few other sundew species. I think the aphids found them from the nearby rose bushes. Long answer to a short question!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but humidity is a laarge factor to
just my thoughts

I disagree. My D. capensis forms grow outdoors year round here where the humidity regularly drops into the teens durring summer. They have never shown a lack of dew or any inhibited growth. Also they flower constantly throughout the spring-fall.

My plants flower so much that I have actually gotten into the habit of cutting the flower stalks as soon as I see them starting. While flowering doesnt take as much energy from the plant as say a VFT flower does, it does slow down the formation of the leaves. I have wayyyy more than enough seed already so I prefer to clip the flowers and just let the plants focus on growing traps and catching bugs.

Cheers
Steve

thats another good point about capensis. if you do something wrong, short of letting it go bone dry for long, it will come out of it so you dont have to go and buy a new one.

VFT Guy in SJ,

I don't know what kind of outdoor room you have, but I would keep sowing seed until you have 1000s of them.
Then start donating seed to the ICPS seedbank. I think you get a pack from them in seedbank credit for every 15 packs you donate, and you can get access to some things that don't make it to the list everyone sees.
Just a thought.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Feb. 02 2005,8:53)]My D. capensis forms grow outdoors year round here ... My plants flower so much that I have actually gotten into the habit of cutting the flower stalks as soon as I see them starting.
I agree. I grow capensis outdoors in my artificial bog in northern California. Snipping flower stalks is a constant chore from April until November. Even with weekly snipping, I continually have to weed out the volunteer capensis plants, otherwise they would eventually take over.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... keep sowing seed until you have 1000s of them. Then start donating seed to the ICPS seedbank.
Joe, I wonder if the ICPS Seedbank needs more capensis seed. They currently show 100 packets of both narrow leaf and 'Albino' seed available.

Er, that is a good point. Probably some other Californian in overalls whistling along as he harvests his capensis fields beat everyone too it....
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

My only beef about capensis is that of all the plants i kept outside, it was the only one that managed to be attacked by aphids. *currently in drowning mode*

Back