What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accidental root cutting-need advice

Hi all,
I was just transplanting a D. regia in to a larger pot, and two roots got separated in the transplanting (darn it Dave, don't rip the plant out of the pot!), i put them about 1/2 inch under the surface in 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite, then i put it in the water tray with my other regia, scorpiodes, and capensis. Is there anything else i should do?

Thanks
Dave

Although the pictures are not working (or needed really) you can try a older topic by pingman topic on the subject He doesn't cover the root cuttings at all... good luck!
Andrew

Ok, thanks.
The reason i covered my roots a bit is because i've heard from a few places that covering the roots is a good idea. The roots do have a little point in which they stick out a bit at the end though.

Even if they are bured 1/2 below, will they still be able to grow?

I think the Savage Garden says to bury them shallowly... 1/2 an inch might be a little too deep. I'd look at my copy but it's lost among the textbooks.
Good luck
~Joe

People often seal root cuttings, whether it is saran wrap or a baggie.

The greenhouse we have should be humid enough. I did consider that though.

Seedjar, as i mentioned before, the tip of one end of each cutting pokes just in to the surface. The other part is about 1/2 inch down. I did it that way so it would get more water withoug danger of being too deep.

Dave, it sounds like you have the right setup. Last month, I took some root cuttings from my regia 'Big Easy'. They were cut into 1-2" segments, burying them the same depth as you describe. I placed them close to growlights in a ziplock bag ( I don't have a greenhouse).

They should do well for you.
smile_m_32.gif

Homer

Whoopie! I get two free regias for transplanting one!
smile.gif

This photo should illustrate the benefits of not burying the Drosera root pieces.

d_regia_1st_stage_A1.jpg

To reiterate the methods to my madness; as soon as buds form with chlorophyll they can use it to capture energy. When they do form, you will be able to observe them. They do not need enough stored energy in their tissues to escape from beneath the surface of any media before they can capture light and begin growth. Remember, root pieces are not usually capable of photosynthesis (capturing energy) in order to contribute to further growth of buds and leaves, especially if they are buried under opaque media.

Wow! so just press em' in to the media a little, not so they're buried, but so they are touching the media and can absorb water very well. And they'll grow like mad. Well, a part of it is touching the surface right now, so they will grow from there i am guessing.

Problem is, buds don't always form where we would like or expect them to.

BTW this tray was sealed with its own transparent lid and given exposure to strong fluorescent light.

I switched around the roots so they are laying on the surface. I'll see how it works that way.

Back