What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling!

ok my seedlings of my sundew are growing and i was wondering what dampening off looked like... but today i saw two seedlings with this white web stuff on it(under magnifying glass) what ia this? should i use fungicide?

oh and there like hair line one lol

Damping off looks like the plant totally dies with only a little green bit left sticking up out of the medium, leaving you with nothing
I'm not exactly an expert, but I would mist or really carefully top water them to try and wash the "fuzz" away, it seems to work for me- In my experience you don't usually see "damping off fungus", you just see the effects

Immediatly take out of all the humidity. This should not effect the plants too much but it will elimiate the fungus. You have way too much humidity

ok i will but for how long?

Untill it dies. How long that is, i don't know.

I'm guessing it will be obvious when the time is right, but i'm not totally sure.

You won't see damping off until it's too late. So if your seeing white fuzz it is some other sort of fungus. Perhaps from excess humidity. Try increasing air circulation but don't shock the seedlings with too much dry air too quickly.

Damping off is caused by two fungi in the soil. It attacks through the roots and up the young seedlings stem. Usually the base of the plant browns and gets mushy and the seedling flops over.

Tony

It will rapidly correct itself with just the air movement. That is what you are missing.

ok thanks
smile.gif
its helping and i hope i have a low dampining rate:p

oh and i was wondering how long it will take before they start to look like the adult plant?

Totally depends on pretty much everything, could be as soon as a couple months, could be years, depends on the species, conditions, you know, all that jazz... I have some D.tokaiensis (my first CPs from seed) that look like fully mature plants (albeit small-ish) which are maybe 6 months old, some others I planted a few weeks later of different species are still looking sorta microscopic in the same conditions
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is the sad truth
Do you know the species you're working with??

i think it D. Splatara i dont know how to spell it but i means SUNDEW... LOL yea im sorry im kinda new to the names

Olde days: D. spathulata. These days: D. spatulata

oh ok i see thanks bug weeddoes anyone her own those?

ok the coolest thang has happened, they now have there bug eating leaves! im so excited

Nice 982797! Nothing like some success to get the blood flowing!

Capslock

Thanks for the update and congrats!!!
Better start a CP jar as if you go any further there's no coming back.... after my first successful germination of seeds I turned into a CP machine, hopefully this is only the tip of the iceberg for ya!!

Back