What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some general observations..........

i have a D. filliformis and D. rotundifolia. about 3 months ago i thought i killed the D. filliformis, as it had died back virtually over night. i knew this species went into dormancy but on a 13 hour day cycle and average house hold temps i thought that explanation was impossible but sure enough there was what looked like a dormant bud so i took it out of the regular Drosera tray under lights and threw it up in a window. i checked on it today and low and behold new growth after three months. soooooooo since day length and temps arent what kicked it into dormancy do these things have internal clocks? my D. rotundifolia also went into a sorta dormancy, its rosettes dropped to half size and sickly looking and did nothing for a couple months but now looks happy and is back to original size. wierd.

rattler_mt,
Since I became lazy enough to not place them into the refrigerator, many of my temperate Drosera behave the same way as you describe. An imitation of my Mexican Pinguicula which switch leaf form irregularly.

Yes, yes, I have been scratching my head about this lately, too
I found a tiny D.rotundifolia seedling (or maybe it came up from the roots, either way I didn't plant it meself) in my bog late this summer... it was so small and things were getting cooler outdoors real fast, so I figured I could bring it inside and keep it growing overwinter, then put it outdoors come spring...
Well, it grew really nicely for maybe 5 months, until about 3 weeks ago, when it began to lose rosettes like mad all of a sudden... I didn't change anything about my light or heat regimens, and nothing else in the same area has done anything irregular......

So I am starting to think that they must have some sort of clock which has nothing to do with conditions, too......

Back