What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold weather sundews

Are there any Drosera that grow in cold regions of the U.S. that tolerate snow and freezing temperatures? I'm just curious.

short answer, yes. but i forget which species. i think D. rotundifolia is one. im pretty sure some in the teipu's of South America see snow. i know there are a coupple more species here in the states that see snow though

Some more for the list: Drosera filiformis, Drosera intermedia, Drosera anglica, Drosera linearis, Drosera filiformis var.tracyi.,

D. rotundifolia, D. anglica, and D. linearis are probably the most cold-tolerant.

Well D. filiformis ssp. filiformis and D. intermedia do supposedly live in Eastern Mass. Just south of Boston. I have not looked yet.

Well what do you know, i live in eastern Mass and I'm looking for a D. filiformis. thanks

ScientificPlantNames.jpg

you expect me to remember the italics when im posting at work and shouldnt be on the net??
smile_n_32.gif
geez im just trying to keep up and not get yelled at by the boss and your trying to slow me down
smile_m_32.gif

You could leave d. linearis outside in a Montana winter, and it would be none the worse for wear. A couple of Rocky Mountain bogs around Glacier National Park housed many rotundifolia, and some d. anglica as well. Winters there got wind chills as low as -65 below zero, and every late spring (around June) they would start growing, and put on a beautiful display. Hard winters are commonplace for some of these guys!

Back