What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New drosera limp

I'm back - the newbie that got the drosera (capensis?) at Lowe's. I've only had it for a few days. I keep the dome on it at night and several hours in the morning. Its immersed in 1/2" of distilled water at all times. It gets a few hours of afternoon sun (sans the dome). Well, its now looking pretty sad - limp, and I removed a few dead leaves. It seems to have "shrunk." Is it going dormant, or am I losing it? The temps have been averages of 60F at night and 65F during the day. I mist every morning. Help! Any suggestions?

Randi

if it is capensis than it doesnt go into dormancy and it doesnt need the cover. infact Drosera normally dont need very high humidity. if it is capensis just keep it in moist soil in good light and give it some time, it will snap out of it in a few weeks.

Probably a phenominon that i call Transplant/transport. If you move in to a new house, your gonna feel weird for a while. Same thing there, except the growth is affected. The cover is unneeded. Keep the pot standing in 1/2 inch-3" of water. There is a low possibility that it is in bad soil, but it would have died long before that. Water with distilled (or R/O, deionized, rainwater, etc)water!

It probably needs more light also. I dunno where in S. Cali you are, but unless you live in Death Valley or something like that you should have no problems with heat or light intensity. I'm north of you in San Jose and I grow my D. capensis forms all outdoors in full sun. Our temps often reach 100*+ and humidity is low but the plants dont seem to care. They grow large and bushy with lots of dew and flower constantly throughout the spring-fall.

As said, ditch the cover. If your plant is getting full afternoon sun it could quickly cook a plant in such a small confined space. Thats probably the most likely culpret for the "limp" and sickly appearance. Those covers are really more for protecting the plants in transport than anything else.

Dont "mist" your Drosera. The water tends to wash off the "dew". Most Drosera dont need that kind of high humidity anyway.

If you should lose the plant just let me know and I will send you a few bazillion seeds to get you started again.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks guys. I'm sure glad I posted, since I've been keeping the dome on it, thinking it needed it to recover. I'll take it off. I'll keep you posted as to how its doing. Looks pretty sad right now. Thanks for your offer, Steve! I'll keep it in mind.

Randi

Back