What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew humidity

Will d.adelae grow good in low humidity? I have several and was wondering if I gave them humidity around 45% if they would still grow well?

Sounds a little too low. This plant grows best for me with 75%-85% humidity.

Yeah, they like pretty high humidity.. I don't know what the level of humidity in my fluorescent tank with my adelaes is, but I know it's pretty high, and they're doing well. To increase the humidity as much as you can, try putting a dome over it when it's not in the sun.

uhh I dont know who told you guys that...  D. adelae grows just fine with humidity as low as 20% or even lower. This whole humidity thing with Drosera is SOOOOO overblown its almost to the point of lunacy.

Give your plant good light (not direct sun), keep it watered and it will grow just fine. I have found that fluorescent light is what my plant likes best. Its healthy and robust and absoultely JUICY with dew.

Here is a pic of my plant:
http://steve.nightscapecreations.com/cppics/adelae1.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Steve, that plant is a prize!

Not now, but mine did well as a window sill plant, open tray, SE exposure, varied water levels.

'dews in high humidity caused me alot of headaches when i was getting started. when i moved my Drosera out of the tank and into a tray of water in normal house hold humidity i wound up with healthier looking plants. sundews do just fine in normal household humidity. we have been running a furnace all winter and my dews look healthy as can be in the dry air of our house.

I grow my d. adelae outside here, and it get what it gets. From 20% humidity, all the way to 100% humidity. The plants stay dewy and beautiful.

Virtually all my Drosera (except the fussy D. schizandra) grow on my growrack that has no humidity retaining features (ie glass). The RH hovers around 37% and all the Drosera are doing very well.

-Homer

In my experience only D. schizandra needs really high RH, all other species I tried so far don't. For the species I did not try yet I can imagine that some of the highland species from Southern America enjoy a temperature drop combined with higher humidity.

Cheers,
Jan

Wow, my adelaes are doing much better right now (yeah, man, they exist now!!), and they're in much higher humidity in the fluorescent tank than where I used to keep adelae, outside with the Sarrs and VFTs, and yeah, sometimes it DOES seem like it's about 3000% humidity outside here, but only during the summer..

But it apparently could just be the fluorescent.

Back