What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata flowering

I have some D. binata that I started from seed about 8-9 months ago. They really want to send up flower stalks but I am confused as to whether I should let them continue or snip-snip. They are grwing under lights for now...until I can get a bog garden going.
Any opinions...

I have never noticed any difference in plant vigor from letting binata flower. However, a more important consideration is whether you want volunteer seedlings all over the place. Some forms of binata are self sterile, requiring pollination from another strain; but some seem to be self-fertile and spread seed (and resulting seedlings) in the strangest places. This is not much of a problem for me because, like capensis, binata seedlings are easy to identify -- not like many of the other rosetty Drosera that look very similar.

I have one of the self seeding binatas - like Bob said, I get seedlings everywhere.

I found that the young seedlings really seem to thrive in the Sarracenia pots which are nearly 100% LFS with live LFS on top.

Back