What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first sundew

I went to lowes today and got a a Sundew. They had moe than sundews(cobra lilys,regular flytraps,the green tube looking ones and many more) and to my suprise and shock they all looked heathly and robust. So i couldnt resist getting a sundew
smile.gif
. Only problem is i accidently dropped it after my mom wanted to look at it
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_t_32.gif
!! It landed head first (so to speak) I hope this dosent kill it
smile_o_32.gif

Hi Insane! Welcome to the forums! I hope you got it planted right quick! It's probably in shock, so I'd leave it covered for a couple days and gradually increase its time being uncovered during the daytime. The leaves probably lost their dew, but if it didn't die, you will see new leaves emerge in a week.

I agree with jim. Get it planted correctly, water it, keep humidity up. Some of these guys are pretty bulletproof.

The longtuby things were sarracenias.

What they said. Welcome to the board!! Embrace the Insanity! BTW, I love your screenname!

wow weird i just got a d. adelea from lowes and my friend was looking at it and dropped it on my floor! made a mess i still had it in the 4" cube, and im repotting tommorrow and hoping it makes it as well

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Insane_Gothic_Preist13224 @ Feb. 14 2005,7:34)]I went to lowes today and got a a Sundew. They had moe than sundews(cobra lilys,regular flytraps,the green tube looking ones and many more) and to my suprise and shock they all looked heathly and robust. So i couldnt resist getting a sundew
smile.gif
. Only problem is i accidently dropped it after my mom wanted to look at it
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif
!! It landed head first (so to speak) I hope this dosent kill it
smile_o_32.gif

The long tube pitchers were probably Sarracenia rubra.

The two species of sundew most commonly seen at Lowe's are D. spathulata (small, roundish leaves on stems) and D. adelae (long, surfboard-shaped leaves).  Which one did you get?

Don't worry about dropping it.  I'd just repot it in a 6" pot with a deep saucer (you can find both also at Lowe's) in a mix of 2/3 peat, 1/3 sand or perlite.

Back