What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I got a digital camera for my birthday, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to post some pics of my own dews. I would've gotten pics out sooner (Birthday in Nov.), but Richmond is so photogenic it isn't funny
smile.gif

D. spatulata <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected D. Spathulata to D. spatulata][For details, see: Plant Taxonomy]</span>. Came as a tiny green dot with my VFTs from PFT. For perspective, the pot is 3 inches in diameter.
DSpathulata.jpg

D. adelae <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected D. Adelae to D. adelae][For details, see: Plant Taxonomy]</span>. Bought from the NASC Auction. To the left is a D. nidiformis, also bought from the auction. And at the bottom can be seen half of a small pot of U. livida, a gift from PlantAKiss
smile.gif

DAdelae.jpg

Cynic81,
Very nice jobs growing and photographing. Thanks for sharing your successes.

I`ve never seen such a thin leaved spatulata very nice!

Hey Cynic81 you live in Richmond BC?I live in North Van,BC.
smile_m_32.gif
Nice plants!!!*Trapper7*

Are those the dews you got from me?They are looking good!

Jerry

@ Trapper7: No, Richmond, Virginia (US)

@ Cool 585: Yeah, those are them. The D. aliciae are temporarily sharing a pot with my S. minors<span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read S. minor]</span>, and the adelaes <span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read D. adelae]</span>are obviously loving the growlight and I'll have to find a roomier pot for them when I get some time off for Spring Break. The nidiformis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read D. nidiformis]</span> is declining, but that's to be expected. Plus they've been ravaged by Aphids. There are plenty of seedlings to replace it, though.

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost track of my red dragon<span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read Dionaea 'Red Dragon']</span>, as it isn't in any of the plant bags in my fridge. I'm hoping I just accidentally left it in the fridge of my parent's house, otherwise I'm out of luck
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks to everyone for their complements! I just can't wait to bring my other plants out of dormancy so I can show them off
biggrin.gif

That can't possibly D. spatulata, can it? It looks like D. villosa( actually D. ascendens-what most people call D. villosa).
I love it.

Cheers,

Joe

Whatever it is, it began life as a tiny green speck on a pot of Dentes<span style='color:red'>[Edit: actual valid cultivar name is Dionaea 'Dentate Traps']</span> I got from PFT. It really exploded last summer.

If you want, I never cut off the last flower stalk, so there may be seeds. I can send you some seeds in exchange for SASE and perhaps some red dragon seeds<span style='color:red'>[Edit: actual valid cultivar name is Dionaea 'Akai Ryu' or as translated Dionaea 'Red Dragon']</span> to replace the missing one.

PS: That taxonomy bot is driving me NUTS
mad.gif

I am not a "Bot", thank you.
blues.gif

BTW it is extremely unlikely that seed from a cultivar of Dionaea muscipula would be true to type, even if self-pollinated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 07 2005,8:17)]BTW it is extremely unlikely that seed from a cultivar of Dionaea muscipula would be true to type, even if self-pollinated.
This is absolutely correct. However, self-pollinated seed from Dionaea 'Red Dragon' will usually produce all red colored VFT seedlings, but it is unlikely that these seedlings will show the vigor of the plant specifically selected for TC and registered as the cultivar 'Red Dragon'. There are many scrawny plants being circulated as 'Red Dragon' (I have some of those) that are probably the result of seedlings rather than cloning the true cultivar. Most registered cultivars are an individual plant that was selected from a group of plants because it was "different". That difference, if genetic and not based on growing conditions, can be maintained with asexual reproduction (cloning), but generally not from seed. There are always exceptions: For example, Drosera 'Albino' seedlings maintain the white flower and green leaves.

One should always have deep skepticism about the correct identity of the plants they receive, whether cultivars or species. There are a lot of misidentified plants being circulated, either because of ignorance or dishonesty. Reproducing and distributing cultivars by seed is one culprit.

Back