What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found! Drosera auriculata!

I thought I saw a thread that said someone was looking for Drosera auriculata and I couldn't find the post but I found the seeds and I just wanted to let whoever wanted to know, know. Y'know? Anyway, I actually think I want some seeds now because they are like D. peltata and D. peltata is a Drosera that I really want. BUT, these are seeds and these are also tuberous seeds and I haven't the slightest clue of how to germinate the little buggers. Can anyone tell me everything I need to know about germinating and growing them. Soil, conditions, temperate/tropical, etc. All of the stuff will help me greatly. Thanks!

PS. I know we aren't supposed to promote other sites but PFT doesn't have D. auriculata seeds so I think it's ok.

Not supprised Dean had them.
Put them on damp medium cover with plastic wrap and stick in the fridge for 3 weeks or a little longer. When you pull them out you should get plants in a couple weeks

What kind of soil do I use? Is it a temperate or tropical? What kind of conditions does it like? Maximum and minimum temps. (I like to be thorough)

Ummmm...I started doing some hard research on D. auriculata and....it seems that it's way out of my league...umm..is there anyone that beleives I can do this if I have the correct instructions. None of the germination instructions I've read have direct instructions really and they are confusing. I figure...if I DO get past germination then I could keep it alive on my windowsill. The dormancy period and everything is confusing. None of the sites say directly what I need to do... does anyone actually grow any tuberous sundews that can really help me through this. D. peltata is one of my favorite sundews and D. auriculata is a lot like it so I'd really like to grow one.

The ICPS seedbank has some really good info on tuberous Drosera.

ChronoKiento, I think you should go for it. If you try and fail you won't have done anything the rest of us haven't done, but if you succeed then you'll have done something only a few have done. So go for it.

One thing my plant-guru friend has always told me, and I'm beginning to believe it, is that all plants like two things, universally; abuse and attention. If you care about the plants then as long as you don't do something that is certain to kill them (like salting the soil,) they'll only try harder to survive. So I wouldn't worry too much - it might just be the perfect match.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Feb. 18 2005,2:50)]Not supprised Dean had them.
Put them on damp medium cover with plastic wrap and stick in the fridge for 3 weeks or a little longer. When you pull them out you should get plants in a couple weeks
Hi,

Don' put them into the fridge and don't cover them with plastic! All you need to do is to put the seeds onto your medium (i use sand/peat, about 3:1) and wait for some weeks. D. auriculata germinates easily. In my experience these plants do not even need a dormancy as other tuberous sundew. I have mine wet for about 2 years now. I always have some plants growing, while others are dormant in the same pot. This is one of the easiest tuberous Drosera and most probably the best one to start with! For me it has been problem free so far.

Christian

D. auriculata grows like a weed. In some areas close to my home it virtually is a weed.

As Christian said, do not place the seeds in the fridge. They are not a temperate species and do not need stratification.

I have many of them growing in other pots just as the weedy D. capensis and D. spatulata do. The pots are always wet and the D. auriculatas grow and go dormant as they please.

The only issue with a species such as this is that it is very difficult to grow under lights as it can grow quite tall. All mine are grown in my greenhouse.

Definitely give it a go.

Despite being a tuberous Drosera, this one doesn't behave like one, especially when trying to germinate it (no summer heat needed). Easy peasy plants if you ask me (and others by the looks of things!).

Not all tuberous Drosera are difficult to germinate or require Summer heat- including some of the WA species.

D. auriculata is incredibly easy to grow but it still behaves just as any other tuberous species does. It is just a little more tolerant of different conditions than many of the other species. It is an eastern Australian plant and grows in generally more forgiving situations than many of the WA environments.

Tre,

I am curious about your cold stratifying D. auriculata. Did that result in normal germination for you?

Cheers,

Joe

Wow, you guys really reassured me that I could do this. *ahem* concidering that my avatar thinger says "failure" anyway I think I'm going to try. Can I just stick the seeds in the soil then put them outside for the summer heat to do it's job? Everywhere I've read says I need gibberalic acid or heat stratification. I'm glad to hear that it's not requred and I'm also glad to hear that dormancy is not required. I know I need a deep pot, no problem. Soil mixture, check. I know they like it sort of cool, so can I grow it as a windowsil plant?...like..will they germinate on a bright windowsill??

To say they don't need a dormancy is not correct. D. auriculata will go dormant. If you will be growing the plant on a windowsill where the photoperiod will vary throughout the year (as opposed to the controlled lighting of a lighted tank) your plants will go dormant in Summer and grow during Winter.

For the seeds to germinate Summer heat is not required and certainly not beneficial. The seeds like cool conditions to germinate well, so just place them somewhere cool and they should do fine. When they are growing don't let them get too hot or they'll go dormant early.

To be honest if you get the seeds this time of year you are probably about 6 months from the best time of yewar to sow. The ideal time is at the end of Summer when the nights are beginning to get cooler. This way you get a full growing season out of them. The will germinate and grow now just not as well as they would through Winter.

Do not use "soil"! If you use "soil" instead of soilless media, you will most likely cause yourself many more difficulties than you may wish to experience. Soil's contain many problematic organisms that can complicate things quite a bit.

By soil, I mean peat and sand mixed... So..what if I germinated them in my cool terrarium and then kept them going until next summer...and then make them go dormant. Would that work? I would hold off until the fall to get them if I were sure that they'd still be available then. But I'm almost positive that they won't be available then....speaking of "soil" I need to get some more peat moss and sand. Sand is so hard to find. My mom found this huge bag of silica sand that's used for fish tank filters. Would that work? Everyone says "silica sand! use silica sand!" but it's hard to tell if I've got the right stuff.

EDIT- I have this 1 liter plastic pot that has 3:1 sand:peat but I used it to try to germinate byblis plants. If I washed the peat and sand in it, would I be able to use that since I ran out of sand? Also, would perlite work if washing the peat and sand won't work? And to top that all off with another question, the sand I use is sort of large grained because it's really just ornamental sand. But I don't see why it wouldn't work except for the fact that same grains are almost a millimeter in width. There are small grains as well but I'm just being really cautious. It's rare that I order anything on the internet and I really don't want it to be a waste. Thanks for all the help that you guys are giving me.

Back