What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting phenomenon.....

This is a D. Capensis I rescued from a Nursury a couple of months ago.  It had been deprived of light and had grown very spindly and tall almost like a small tree would grow.

I took it home and put it into more favorable conditions, and the top of the plant started acting like a regular Capensis again, so I had D. Capensis on top of this long stem.  As it started to bend down from the weight of the now growing point on top of the plant it sent out a root through mid air and eventually into the soil.

First picture is the plant as a whole.

strange1.jpg

Second picture if you follow the purple line from you can see the original root and the tall stem going to the growth point.

strange1a.JPG

Third picture you can see the root it sent out is now into the soil.
strange3.jpg

In effect, this plant now has two root systems.

lol thats kinda cool. poor capensis, ive never seen one get that scraggly. new growth looks good though

They do that if they are too far from the light or trying to grow through thick foliage.

Whooooooa. What is strange. I want a long legged capensis!

Back