What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ok well i bought a sundew last spring that i thought was Drosera spathulata <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected D. spathulata to D. spatulata][For details, see: Plant Taxonomy]</span> but recently i read on a couple sites that sell them they have pink flowers, my sundew has white flowers and i notcie the end of the leaves arent as round as i see in pics of Drosera spatulata so does this sounds liek any variation? or someone know what it is?

the color on my D. spatulata, hong kong locale, has pink. i seem to remember some referance to a white flowered variety. dont quote me on it though

no one else has any input on this?

edit: i just snapped some pics so how do i add them? i dont have a url for them, so anyone know a good place i can put my pics up?

Hi,

As far as i know there are no var. of D. spatulata. I have no further information of these plants as i have received all the plants on this site as something else ( in these cases as Drosera natalensis 'Debbert' (DROS 2), Drosera sp "Auyan Tepui (DROS82) and Drosera "jacoby" (DROS13) ).

I think, the plants from New Zealand usually flower white, but i'm not sure because i have yet to grow them.

Christian

Could you take a pictures and let me see?

White flowered D. spatulata are most likely to be of New Zealand origin, although some white flowered examples are also found in Australia in the Queensland area.  My cultivar Drosera 'Tamlin' is Australian in origin.

The New Zealand forms present peduncles that are glandless and smooth looking and noticably lacking in red pigments in my collection. The actual buds tend to be more roundish to my eye.

Below are 2 examples, the first from Ahipara, and the second from Mt. Ruahepu in NZ.

Drosera_spatulata_Ahipara_NZ_flower_072303_3r.jpg

Drosera_spatulata_NZ_white_flower_070503_1r.jpg

Additional photo's may be found on Bob Zeimer's website:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Drosera.html

Here in south eastern Australia we have both white and pink forms growing reasonably close to one another.

The white forms generally occur in sandy areas close to the coast whereas the pink flowered forms grow higher up in loamy soil of montane Eucalyptus forest.

Back