What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia 'Big Easy'

I know regia 'Big Easy' can be propogated from roots ( I should know, I've done it
smile_n_32.gif
) but I wasn't aware that new plants just spring up from the soil in the same pot as the parent plant
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Take a look.

youngregia.jpg

This might be old news to some of you, but an enexpected suprise for me. So far I spotted 4 new plants as of this afternoon.

Homer

WTG Homer.. if you wanna get rid of the excess plants I know a guy who would be happy to take them off your hands ;)

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Feb. 19 2005,7:28)]WTG Homer..  if you wanna get rid of the excess plants I know a guy who would be happy to take them off your hands ;)  

Cheers
Steve
Yeap, that would be me
biggrin.gif

Anyways, nice plant/s

Back off, doode!!!!! He was talkin' about me!!!!

Homer,
I'm sure you can not complain about that.

I don't think Homer is complaining. Sounds more like he's braggin'. I would!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't think Homer is complaining. Sounds more like he's braggin'. I would!

You're right, I'm not complaining, I just wanted to share. So, anyone else experience this with their plants?

Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 19 2005,8:27)]Back off, doode!!!!! He was talkin' about me!!!!
mad.gif

smile_h_32.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, I know you can't stand smileys
smile_m_32.gif

Aaaannyways...

Homer, I have never experianced new plant growth from no where.
Was this plant recently (within the last 5 weeks or so) potted here? maybe some of the roots were broke in planting. The only other time I've seen that happen is if the main plant's crown dies back, then the roots generally propagate a few new plants up.
Good going!
Andrew

I agree with Andrew. It is not unusual for new regia plantlets to suddenly appear. The likely source is from broken or damaged roots that sprout just like a normal root cutting. It is always nice when plants spontaneously appear (except when the thousands of D. capensis seedlings and U. subulata invade everything).

This is rather common for all the thick rooted species from South Africa, other species like D. capensis, D. slackii, D. cuneifolia ... and so on do just the same.

Cheers,
Jan

Thank you all for your replies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Was this plant recently (within the last 5 weeks or so) potted here? maybe some of the roots were broke in planting.

Good question. I did repot both my D. regia 'Big Easy' plants a couple of months ago. The main root I recall was winding all the way around the old, smaller pot it was in. I don't recall damaging it, but you never know I guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is rather common for all the thick rooted species from South Afric

Good to hear! The chance that this plant could proliferate like capensis would be wonderfull.

Homer

Very cool.

I had capensis seedlings popping up everywhere before my capensis even flowered! And in commercially bought mix! They get everywhere!

Weedy D. regia!? I like the sound of that. I've gotta get one.

Glenn

Homer,
What type of "soil" mix do you use? Also, I read in the Sept. issue of the ICPS Newsletter that leaf cuttings work with the 'Big Easy', just sitting in water. Have you had any luck with that?
Dave

I highly recommend not using "soil" at any time for CP. Soilless media is a much safer way to go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Homer,
What type of "soil" mix do you use?

I use mix of silica sand and peat moss, with a little perlite or pumice.

Homer

Thanks for the info Homer. I recently purchased one and potted it in sphagnum and perlite. I'll leave it at that for now and see what happens.

Today I counted 6 new regia plantlets. Thats 2 more than a week ago when I started this topic.

I have another regia 'Big Easy' that I got at the same time, is about the same size, and is in the same soil mix, as well as watering schedule, etc. Not to mention they are right beside each other. My point is: the only difference is the pot size. The one with the plantlets springing up all other the place is in a 5.5" pot, while the 'Big Easy' with no plantlets is in a 3" pot.

So, does a larger pot encourage the growth of tiny plantlets from the parents roots?

Homer

iono
I agree with Andrew. It is not unusual for new regia plantlets to suddenly appear. The likely source is from broken or damaged roots that sprout just like a normal root cutting. It is always nice when plants spontaneously appear (except when the thousands of D. capensis seedlings and U. subulata invade everything).

I hear ya, I got about 3 or four seedlings in with the plants you sent me

Back