What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*sigh* more flowers

I have waaaaaay to many plants flowering lately. The newest discovered flower is D. adelae. Anything i should know about the flowers and seeds?

I dunno. They are about half a centimeter large and are nice red color? What do you want to know? Want to be specific?

Oh, well that sucks. They don't regularly produce seed even if i pollinate them myself?

What i wanted to know was anything important about pollinating flowers, sowing seed, and anything else that involves propogation.

D. adelae propagation can be done in your sleep.  
biggrin.gif
 It is a weed that readily propagates itself.  You have two options:

1: Let the plant simply spring up plantlets by itself without changing anything and within a year you will have WELL OVER 20 plantlets some large some small.

2: Cut up a leaf into 9+.  Put the parts on the potting mix you use for D. adelae and simply place it under lights.  All parts should grow a new plant.  I haven't needed to try this myself, but a friend of mine did and has been extremely successful.

Darn if only I had not boasted about my adelae then maybe mine would have flowered adn propagate itself like a weed. It seems to be doing better with my new plant in the terrarium in the East Facing window that I use. Sphagnum shades it so thats good

Minjes flowering too:) Nice red color.

I've heard they're are like small red stars. I can't wait.

I recently took a leaf cutting, i didn't chop it up though. Well, i'll have an invasion soon enough, i may GIVE them away online.

I received a single plant last year from an online retailer. It is in a 3" pot and it grew so large I wanted to repot it. Imagine my surprise when I unpotted it and saw that it was a HUGE mass of plants and plantlets.

From that one little pot I pulled over 12 plants out of it. Instead of potting up the original plant, I kept it in the same pot since I just removed all of the extra plantlets from its perimeter.

I just love my D. adelae!

Sam

Mine's just putting up flower stalks now. I'm kind of hopign it doesn't make seed as I have enough plantlets to deal with and my D. nidiformis spread it's little guys across my collection.

On the plus side, D. nidiformis and D. capensis planlets for anyone who wants one
biggrin.gif

Cynic81 may I please have one?*Trapper7*

Oh great. This is just perfect. It decided to play possum on me, and the flower stalk is about 3" tall, will the flower stalk die off? Also, are there any special conditions that i need to recessitate the adelae?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Mar. 07 2005,11:58)]Cynic81 may I please have one?*Trapper7*
Sure thing, in exchange for SASE. I could also use a red dragon cutting if you have one, but it's not required.

Tuna it flowers slowly. The stalk may just stand for awhile then the flowers will slowly open. Leave it unless the stalk whithers.

Mine is flowering now too. My flowers are light pink though. I thought they were supposed to be a bright red.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Feb. 24 2005,11:47)]I have waaaaaay to many plants flowering lately. The newest discovered flower is D. adelae. Anything i should know about the flowers and seeds?
My D. adelae is sending up a scape, too. First time I've had this plant do it. It must like my indoor greenhouse.

TSG has a nice pic of D. adelae flowers.

Crap, the flower stalk died. The rest of the plants is also withering down for a 'possum routine. I did find a little plantlet growing next to it though.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Mar. 14 2005,9:51)]Crap, the flower stalk died. The rest of the plants is also withering down for a 'possum routine. I did find a little plantlet growing next to it though.
smile.gif
$5 says you TOTALLY jinxed it
smile_n_32.gif

The flowers can produce seeds by selfing, but success is rather limited.

The stalk was only 2" high when it died. It's not gonna self. Unless you meant that happens when it flowers.

AND I DID NOT JINX IT. I never trip and fall out of the blue- *crash*

Back