What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is D. adelae so tempermental at times?

Ok I have had this D. Adelae <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling: D. adelae]</span> for about a year. It was huge and growing beautifully. Then for about the past couple months it has been producing failed leaves that just die off however it is producing an astounding amount of plantlets from the roots. So I basically just said screw it and hacked off all the dead leaves (basically down to the rhizome) If it dies oh well I have a ton of plantlets.

Because they are all females.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

But seriously, that's what adelae do! Although Pinguiculaman has another explanation for why they do their 'possum routine. I'll have to dig it up sometime. In the meantime, don't toss the adult plant and keep cultivating the plantlets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 27 2005,4:49)]But seriously, that's what adelae do! Although Pinguiculaman has another explanation for why they do their 'possum routine. I'll have to dig it up sometime. In the meantime, don't toss the adult plant and keep cultivating the plantlets.
Oh I understand about the whole die back and growth cycle of D. Adelae <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling: D. adelae]</span> but sweet jebus why do they do it for no apparent reason? Is it because in my terrarium they have no seasons? It was growing fine a couple months ago and then it started producing dead leaves.

In my experience they do this because spider mites like them and they don't like spider mites.

ALLOSAURZ, I can well understand your situation. My own D.adelae just started doing this a few days ago, for no freakin' apparent reason like you said. All the leaves it has produced from then on have been small, red, and stunted instead of being green and juicy with red hairs), and unfold in a weird fashion - the leaf would "unroll" without opening and then the top part would open first to reveal a section of red dried up like leaf, then the bottom part would do the same. Funny thing is, I have yet to see any plantlets, and the rizhome is getting smaller with every leaf. Weird, week ago it was sending up increasingly large leaves covered in dew. Then all of a sudden it started doing this, with leaf size decreasing rapidly. Sounds exactly like what yours is doing eh?

And the frustrating thing is, there is NO REASON for why it should be doing that, I thought they liked living in a tropical weathered terrarium. God do I hate it when my plants do that...makes me feel like such a newbie.
confused.gif

My D. adelea <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling D. adelea to D. adelae]</span> is acting wierd too! The leaves look unheatly with NO DEW at all... WAHH! It has been kept in the same environment since i got it. I think we have a different problem cuz i don't see any pantlets in my adelea <span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling D. adelea to D. adelae]</span> pot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 28 2005,3:06)]In my experience they do this because spider mites like them and they don't like spider mites.
Hmmm is there a way to kill spider mites without using chemicals? My plants are in my dorm room and I don't think my roommates would appreciate me spraying everyting with orthene...

Allosaurz

Spidermites are easy to spot, they are small red spider like looking things, and the telltale sign is they produce small white webs. You could try totally submerging the plant in water for a couple of days.

I get a plastic container large enough to submerge the entire plant, place some small stones or pebbles on the surface of the pot to weigh it down, put the pot into the plastic container, then gradually add water until the plant is entirely submerged. Add more weight if it seems to want to float. Keep it underwater for a week or two. This does not work 100%, but does usually work to supress the spider mites enough so the plant can gain renewed vigor. Remember that even underwater the plant still needs to be kept lit otherwise it might die and rot away. If this seems to have happened, remove it from the water and place it into a ziplic bag to stimulate it to create new sprouts from its roots. The increased humidity will continue to supress the spider mites.

Ahhh, never mind the weather...I just discovered some..what's that...millimetre red thingy crawling about on my dying D.adelae leaf....!?!?#()@$#&*_!#_!

Look here and we can have a nice discussion about spider mites and how to send them back down to h*ll.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 28 2005,10:51)]I get a plastic container large enough to submerge the entire plant, place some small stones or pebbles on the surface of the pot to weigh it down, put the pot into the plastic container, then gradually add water until the plant is entirely submerged. Add more weight if it seems to want to float. Keep it underwater for a week or two. This does not work 100%, but does usually work to supress the spider mites enough so the plant can gain renewed vigor. Remember that even underwater the plant still needs to be kept lit otherwise it might die and rot away. If this seems to have happened, remove it from the water and place it into a ziplic bag to stimulate it to create new sprouts from its roots. The increased humidity will continue to supress the spider mites.
I am currently utilizing this method to rid my D. adelae (spelled correctly) of aphids. Those things got into my capensis and spatulata as well! It has been a week in submersion and the leaves are still green.

Back