What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first sundew

Hi Everyone,

I got the carnivorous sampler for this website. My Sundew was fine when I got it. I made sure to water it often but as of late I notice that all of the pads have browned and athough it is generating new leaves, they don't seem to last long - it also produce what I think was two longer stems for flowers but the tips also dyed. What am I doing wrong. Should I keep it covered more often than I am - can it be saved (I hope)...

I just need lots of help.

Is this D.adelae?(are the leaves lance shaped with no petioles aka are they all covered in tentacles?) If so this species often dies back and then pops back up a month or so later from it`s roots.

Are you useing pure water?
How much light is the plant recieving,and from what source. is the area relatively humid?

Oh,I almost forgot WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forums!!! You've come to the right place for advice. The most common things that can go wrong are 1) not enough light, and 2) use of tap water. Drosera like a lot of light, and you need to use distilled, rain, or R/O filtered water.

Tell us about the conditions and treatment of your plant, and we'll figure out what's going on.

Capslock

It's quite possible the plant is simply in shock from shipping. What I have done, successfully, is to keep it covered for a couple days, in stable conditions (temp. light, location). Then slowly acclimate it by opening it up during the day and covering it by night, for another couple days. Then try leaving the cover off, making sure the plant has adequate light and moisture. Look to new growth, Don't worry about old leaves. They're toast. You should be seeing new, healthy leaves within the week.

I was using spring water until I realized it wasn't distilled - that was a few weeks ago - now I'm using distilled water. The plant is a Drosera spatulata. I've had the plant for a little more than a month.
Thanks for the information I will try covering it more.
smile.gif

oh, I'm using a dual 40watt flourescent shop light. My Sarracenia and my venus fly traps seemed to love it so I didn't think about that.

Hmmm.. well if the VFT and Sarrs like it the I dont believe its a lighting problem although I suspect that soon the VFT and Sarr will want real sun.

if you have been watering with impure water, I would point the finger at that first. D. spatulata is a generally weedy plant that in time will produce so much seed that you will be begging it to stop. It should do just fine alongside the vft and Sarr in full sunlight.

Other than that, unless you are using abysmally poor media to grow it in, I cant think of any other obvious reasons for its decline. In general, D. spatulata is a VERY heraty plant that will take just about anything you can throw at it and keep comming back for more.

Anyway, if you should lose the plant you have now, I know there are many here on the forum who will happily send you fresh seed to get you started again.

Good luck,
Steve

thanks everyone for your information - I really appriciate it. I'll keep you updated on my progress.
biggrin.gif

Back