What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something small and red on my D. adelae

Whats that small and red thing crawling baout on my D.adelae? Yup, no doubt about it, as many of you know from their appearance, spider mites are not nice things to deal with.

So how do I get rid of them? Well, I've decided to try submerging them, but before I try to make the D.adelae aquatic I have a few Qs:

1) Does the plant have to be fully submerged? Including the tops of the leaves and dew hairs - don't they need air?

2) Will adding any neem oil/pesticide/miteicide/poison to the water help?

3) Is there any danger to the plant (Well I mean D.adelae wasn't designed to live underwater is my point...)

4) Are there any other precautions to take, what I should, should not do, like going mad and trying to drown the plant (err I mean the mites) in insecticide, or maybe I should cut off all the infected leaves?

And finally, when will the little buggers get the idea that they aren't wanted and that I am going to kill them (I mean after how long will they leave/die/drown/go to h*ll? Tell me I didn't hear two weeks...

Any pros out there? Oh, and another thing, what would be a good insecticide to use? I have various ones around my place, but any reccommendations will be useful.

Thanks,
Jason

Yes, the entire plant must be submerged for this technique to work. If you add insecticide (by the way, mites are not insects), miticide would be best for them, but I would not add it to the water treatment because the plant might be tolerant of a brief exposure to the pesticide, but over time it might become severely damaged. I do it for 2 weeks, sure the plants look strange after being submerged for that long, but they recover fairly quickly when they don't have to deal with the mites.

I've had luck treating spider mites with Orthenex. My N. hamata had them, and two treatments, about ten days apart took care of it. Submerging is a good option, and less toxic, but I wasn't about to mess around with a hamata.

Capslock

Fortunetely I resisted the urge to dash out to buy some Malathion. So insecticide like Malathion for killing regular pests like aphids and thrips won't be likely to work? I didn't even know miticide existed...I cannot find it anywhere. Perhaps you can suggest a product?

I think I will try submerging it (might be fun to see how the adelae will adapt to being aquatic...or maybe not). If that doesn't work then I will switch to slightly harsher measures, maybe orthenex, if I can find some.

No, definitely not a hamata. I just thought a adelae would be more sensitive to insecticide than other plants.

How you would keep a hamata with 10 inch long pitchers underwater for a week is what I want to know.
smile_n_32.gif

By the way thanks for all the info,
Jason

Kelthane and Kanemite are miticides.

Jason, as suggested, drowning= 2 weeks; orthenex ten days apart. Don't worry. I use orthenex on all my plants. (Including d. adelae)

So in that case will malthion work or are they systematically different?

Malathion WP (wettable powder), other formulations can contain petroleum distillates (near instant death for most CP), might slow them down, but it is not a miticide and generally will not eliminate mites.

What about neem oil or some other types of oil which can engulf mites (as said on the package), or alcohol (someone tell me this is harmful to the plants - before I make them drunk).
smile_n_32.gif

Back