What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. nitidula x pulchella

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
The other day I was examining my terrarium and I noticed something strange in the middle of one of my D. NxP and upon further examination I realized it(they) were gemmae!!! I think my plant wants a vacation or somethin in Australia cause it sure as heck isn't on Boone time and temps(in the teens right now) and there are still like 7 months till fall. Oh well, I was looking foward to getting some gemmae anyway. Now I can finally "repot" them. Can I get hold of the link to the stuff Tamlin typed up about pygmies? thanks.

~Wes~

the lower temps may have done it. im not much of a firm believer on the only a 10 hour day will produce gemmea. my pygmys produced gemmea under a 13 hour day and i think they did this due to a temp drop in my house. in fact one of my unknowns produced gemmea not long ago. so while a 10 hour day will do it for some species atleast it seems a drop in temps will do it to.

hmm, so maybe if they are grown permantly wet(I'm assuming that's what you do, I know I do) they can do gemmae whenever they "want" or "feel the need" to. That's a pretty interesting thought.

constantly moist, i dont let them completely dry out

yea, that's what I meant

whoa... you don't HAVE to make them go into dormancy?

not nessesarily for some of the easier more common species. there are some that do require it. these lil guys really arent my area my area of expertese and i dont have many but i have several in my mixed unknown pot that are going on 18 months without dormancy and are happy.

Back