What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. pulchella gemmae

I recently came accross a large batch of D. pulchella gemmae (thanks to a tip from Tony, it was in the sphagnum they were shipped in), and i put them on the top of some wet peat, what more do i need to do to get them to sprout?

Thanks!
Dave

Keep them moist and give them lotsa light. They're easy, as are all pigmy dew gemmae - especially scorpiodes.

Ah thanks! That's what i'm doing, as they are in full sunlight. Also, they are in pure peat. I will transplant them as i get older, as there are maybe 15 of them in a 4" pot.

Be patiant. From my experience, pullchella take the longest to sprout of all of the gemmae I have grown. As long as they stay green, don't turn brown or dry-up you should get plants in time.

Glenn

I don't know how different pulchella or nitidula or... are from scorpiodes, but scorpiodes does well in a highly sandy mixture. I also has long roots and is sensitive to having its roots disturbed. So if you have gemmae, as opposed to established seedlings, you might do well to mix in sand as well as make a permanent home for them, now.

Back