What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flooding

Is it bad if a sundew seedling gets flooded, because it's been raining on and off today and it's annoying draining the excess water, it's in a terria.

I experienced 4 separate torrential downpurs last Summer. Aside from learning a lesson about having adequate drainage and making sure my "open tray" is NOT taller that the plant containers - it didn't hurt them. I just had a few containers get overturned and may plants disappeared. I also had a lot of "sundew surprise". In short, sundews can survive under water.

Yes, flooding doesn't seem to be much a big deal.. the plants will let you know if it's too much, I'd figure

If your plants end up downstream due to the flooding, it is a different deal (eh, DANscott?? lol), but otherwise, just don't let them sit in deep standing water for too long

I drilled holes in the sides of my trays about 1.5 inches from the bottom. that's how high the water level gets when it rains
smile_m_32.gif

I'm going to check on my plant in the morning, it's still raining even when I posted this thread about 6 hours ago, it rains, then it stops, then it rains again. Well, nothing bad probably and now I won't have to give them water for at least a week
smile.gif

Back