What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Ok so I just got some D.spatulata seeds,so what do i do now?Stick some in the fridge?or what?Please be VERY specific,because I'm slow,lol.
smile_n_32.gif
Please tell me what I put it in,how,and everything.Just take my step by step.I know there are some people that have helped me with this,and I really appreciate it but I am so confused!Please help me.Thank you
smile.gif
*Trapper7*

PMed you
smile_m_32.gif

LOL I will try to be more careful in explaining stuff to you, I remember feeling like my head was gonna explode a few times when I was a right newbie.. one day you will be able to look at these threads and laugh, don't panic

can u tell all how to do it? or please at least pm me
smile.gif
smile.gif
thanks

brad

You can store seed in the fridge, if you want to prolong their vitality and use it later. You could sow the seeds on a mixture of sphagnum peat moss and sand(silicia sand), personally I use sphagnum peat moss and perlite mixture, but that's because I'm too lazy to go to home depot to buy supplies. Make sure that the soil is wet and on a tray system or, however you prefer. Put the seeds on top and make sure it has good light and enough water, don't worry about humidity for now, and make sure the water is R/O, or distilled or if it's purified, read the label to make sure salt hasn't been added. I use my lake water, and it works for me perfectly fine. You should also check the article section, it has a thread on sowing drosera seed.

do u give them a cold treatment? thanks

Brad

i dont think you need to give the cold treatment to spatulata. i cant think of any form that would need it. if its just some normal variety sprinkle the seeds over a peat/sand mix in a pot sitting in a tray of water, give them good light and you should have seedlings in a couple weeks.

And just a quick word- the seedlings will be almost unbelievably small- you will not be able to see them very well at all, a magnifying glass will help with this

And as Piranhaplant mentioned, the article "How I sow Drosera seed" by Tamlin Dawnstar (it's somewhere on this site) covers the topic quite well, check that out....

It is easier to understand than any instructions I could send you PM-wise, Brad

Back