Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. binata questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now there is only one scientifically recognized species in the "complex", that is Drosera binata. Pretty simple really. Any variation we horticulturists notice can be taken care of by getting busy and registering them as cultivars, some already have. Meantime, please do not write the invalid names as if they were valid, please.

To include extra descriptive terms in lieu of registered cultivar names, please use parentheses, double quotes, brackets, commas, semicolon, etc. Just, please do not write them in a format that implies that they are valid, until and unless they are.

For example: To avoid confusion and bogus names, D. binata dichotoma "small form" could be written; Drosera binata (dichotoma) "small form". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Cultivars already registered and derived from Drosera binata include: Drosera 'Giant' and Drosera 'Marston Dragon'. Sounds like we could get busy and register a few more from this species.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's also where the confusion lies. I've seen them be written even as separate species [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    so... there's only one species and only one subspecies or just one species and many subspecies? are they ALL just varieties?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this is why I hate posting about binata complex even though I love it. Alway someone tells me I used the wrong description even though several books call it several different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 13 2005,5:10)]i had bee admiring pics of a growers D. multifida "Extreama"
    Would that be the pics I posted, or somebody else's? If somebody else's could you post a link?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they were yours Scott, beautiful plants
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 14 2005,4:34)]That's also where the confusion lies. I've seen them be written even as separate species [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    so... there's only one species and only one subspecies or just one species and many subspecies? are they ALL just varieties?
    There is only one species of Drosera binata, it is called Drosera binata. There are two selections from Drosera binata which are registered as cultivars. All variation should currently be recognized by registering them as cultivars. The taxonomists can sort their part out whenever they get around to it, if they ever do.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 14 2005,4:26)]they were yours Scott, beautiful plants
    Well, I made six root cuttings last night.

If successful, I should have plenty to trade.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12