What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata questions

i had bee admiring pics of a growers D. multifida "Extreama" thinking how it micht be a nice addition to sit beside my D. binatas "boring" T shaped leaves. well i was clipping dead pitchers off of my Sarrs and happened to glance down at the D. binata that grows next to them and it has some traps that have divided a second time forming two Y's instead of a T. is this normal? most are the T shape but about 5-10% of them are now the "double Y's".

also is this species self fertile? its producing a flower stalk and if its not self fertile im just going to cut it off. or do yah think i can cross it with D. capensis? i have one sending up a stalk right now also. they are two completely different groups of Drosera so i dont think they will cross but yah never know.

Its probibly not self fertile. I doubt you will be able to cross it with anything (mine never have). You may have the dictoma small type or large type. I am not sure though. My 'extrema' is fincky, It will produce 2-4 (mostly 3) points per leaf until it gets going in the same area and tehy will produce lots of leaves with 18 points or so on it.

Most clones of Drosera binata currently in cultivation are self-incompatible. They will form viable seed when cross-pollinated with other distinct clones only. There are, however, self-fertile Drosera binata. They are wonderful and just as much a weed as Drosera capensis.
smile.gif

can anyone tell me what the HECK is going on with all that d. binata<span style='color:red'>[Edit: should read - Drosera binata]</span> complex thing? different species? subspecies? varieties? that is all so confusing!

Thats why it is a complex. No one understands it at all. I still have the D. binata dichotoma "small form" that has been out of cultivation for a long time. Slack made mention of this form with a whole 2 or 3 sentences in his 1980 edition of "Carnivorous Plants".
The clone was given to me by Judith Finn at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden in 1984. Splits to as many as 27 to 31 points, and has more substance to the leaf than extrema. Not as colorful a leaf, but a beauty just the same. I gave some to Wesley and to Pyro. Nice plant, and not found in many collections at all. Leaf cuts and root cuts will produce high yield in plants!

D. binata, D. binata multifida, D. binata multifida extrema, D. binata dichotoma, D. binata dragon something, oy!
so if D. binata dichotoma "small form" leaf cuts and root cuts produce a high yield in plants then why aren't they still in cultivation? is it called small form because it's shorter?
I have a D. binata "extrema" (although I haven't seen the extra branches yet) and its leaves always fall to the side. I just tried some leaf cuttings and it has 2 plantlets on the stem of the leaf (or whatever you call it) and one on the trap itself.
for some reason I'm obssesed with the binata complex :p

Right now there is only one scientifically recognized species in the "complex", that is Drosera binata. Pretty simple really. Any variation we horticulturists notice can be taken care of by getting busy and registering them as cultivars, some already have. Meantime, please do not write the invalid names as if they were valid, please.

To include extra descriptive terms in lieu of registered cultivar names, please use parentheses, double quotes, brackets, commas, semicolon, etc. Just, please do not write them in a format that implies that they are valid, until and unless they are.

For example: To avoid confusion and bogus names, D. binata dichotoma "small form" could be written; Drosera binata (dichotoma) "small form".
smilie4.gif

Cultivars already registered and derived from Drosera binata include: Drosera 'Giant' and Drosera 'Marston Dragon'. Sounds like we could get busy and register a few more from this species.

That's also where the confusion lies. I've seen them be written even as separate species
smile_k_ani_32.gif

so... there's only one species and only one subspecies or just one species and many subspecies? are they ALL just varieties?

See this is why I hate posting about binata complex even though I love it. Alway someone tells me I used the wrong description even though several books call it several different things.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 13 2005,5:10)]i had bee admiring pics of a growers D. multifida "Extreama"
Would that be the pics I posted, or somebody else's? If somebody else's could you post a link?

they were yours Scott, beautiful plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 14 2005,4:34)]That's also where the confusion lies. I've seen them be written even as separate species
smile_k_ani_32.gif

so... there's only one species and only one subspecies or just one species and many subspecies? are they ALL just varieties?
There is only one species of Drosera binata, it is called Drosera binata. There are two selections from Drosera binata which are registered as cultivars. All variation should currently be recognized by registering them as cultivars. The taxonomists can sort their part out whenever they get around to it, if they ever do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 14 2005,4:26)]they were yours Scott, beautiful plants
Well, I made six root cuttings last night.

If successful, I should have plenty to trade.

Back