What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii from seed help

I spread my D. burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera burmannii]</span> seed today. This is the third time. Evrythime I got plants for 2 months then they die but I usually only get one plant. So my question is do I stratify or not? I was going to do half and half but then like an idiot I dumped the seed onto one big pot. The good news is I finally have sessifolia<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera sessilifolia]</span> sprouts. I did that half and half and one of them had what seems like over 100% germination the other has nothing yet. So should I stratify or not. the burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera burmannii]</span> seed has been in the fridge for a month or two now.

You do not need to stratify D. burmannii. Fresh seed germinates readily and easily. They can be almost like a weed since they make tons of seed. I find them growing in nearby pots from seeds spilling off uncut scapes. I've never made any special provisions for mine and they grow fine. Burmannii is often called an annual plant as it makes copious seed and then can die off afterwards.

This won't be of much help, but here goes
I sowed what must have been over 50 seeds of D.burmanii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera burmannii]</span> a couple months ago and got ONE strike, it is by far the worst result I've had yet with seeds (unlike them D. capensis seeds I got from you, Tre, if I didn't know better I'd swear some of those things struck more than once somehows)

But that is odd, I thought it was just something I did or didn't do, but it's not just me after all (and I think the seeds got too cold whilst shipping, I received it during a real brutal cold snap)

Good luck either way!!!

Hmm I wonder if they will be okay since they have been in the fridge fro a couple months

Seed of D. burmannii can be short lived since it is so small and has little endosperm and is best sown immediately upon ripening. This is a tropical species and needs no stratification.

What soil media should be used for germinating Drosera Burmannii<span style='color:red'>[Edit: the second part of the species name is never capitalized, it should read: Drosera burmannii]</span> seed? I am getting some from wolf9striker and was wondering what soil mix should be used for germinating this seed?

You can use pure peat or peat/sand. Or you could experiment and try some in peat and some in LFS to see which works best.
smile.gif

Back