User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Propagating D. binata (multifida extrema)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 14 2005,1:54)]Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.
    I have six 1" to 1.25" root segments, buried horizontally under 0.5" of peat. I don't have any live sphagnum moss.

Should this do the trick?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 15 2005,8:55)]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.
    What species have you done this with?

Also, pertaining to your suggestion of the proper name, D. binata (multifida extrema): Peter D'Amato lists it as D. multifida 'extrema'. Is this incorrect? Are both correct, but one preferred?

I assume, then, that the proper name for another related plant is D. binata (dichotoma), rather than D. dichotoma?

You are also welcome to suggest name corrections to my grow list, as well, if you have time...
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the parenthesis is my preferred method of annotating additional descriptive terms that are otherwise technically invalid as plant names. Even simply separating the correct name from the descriptive terms with a comma would work too, e.g. Drosera binata, dichotoma would be just as acceptable. I am just trying to encourage all of us to be aware of how confusion could cause us all more trouble than we need.

For shame that so many CP nurseries also promulgate this misinformation by generating their own unofficial names, misspellings, and general sloppy naming of their products. Sure, with the general status of things it is hard to hold them entirely responsible for an occasional naming error, but I think all of us should try a little harder to be more careful.

I'm not sure, but I believe that when Peter wrote his book it was still believed that there were varieties and forms of Drosera binata. Subsequently, for various reasons, that nomenclature was determined to be invalid and Drosera binata was reduced to the type, Drosera binata. I have heard that taxonomists have attempted to straighten out the situation with Drosera binata, but it hasn't happened yet.

Of course there are many variations in the Drosera binata "complex", but we horticulturists only have one venue to address this, other than that discussed above. That is to register them as cultivars. In this way at least the names and plants could be preserved and identified more accurately. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, the ICPS database lists only two registered cultivars of D. binata:
    Drosera 'Giant' (D'Amato); Registered 11. 6. 1999
    Drosera 'Marston Dragon' (Hort.Slack); Registered 29. 1. 2001

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.

I have six 1" to 1.25" root segments, buried horizontally under 0.5" of peat. I don't have any live sphagnum moss.

Should this do the trick?
    That should be fine.

Quote[/b] ]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.

What species have you done this with?
    I have done this successfully with D. binata (dichotoma)

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 15 2005,8:55)]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.
    Can you provide more info? My D. binata (multifida extrema) has a flower stalk now; I'm planning to clip it. Cut into 1" segments or longer? Just submerge in distilled water and keep under bright light? How long til I see evidence of new growth?
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold up there, varmint! Did you say the leaf was BURIED 1/2 inch deep? Won't get any plants that way if you buried them. Lay them flat on the soil surface. Cover only the ends of the cut leaf. I hope I misunderstood you. Otherwise, start over!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easily produce more Drosera binata by floating leaves and flower stalks that are cut into pieces and floated in clear glasses of purified water kept in good light. All forms seem to respond the same. The time it takes before you see plantlets form varies, 2 weeks -- 2 months, approximately. I especially like this because it is easy to see the status of your cutting material and view any progress. Leaves usually produce more plantlets, but smaller, while flower stalk segments produce fewer, but larger plantlets.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast