What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating D. binata (multifida extrema)

I have a D. multifida 'extrema'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct invalid name to Drosera binata (multifida extrema)]</span>, which I'd like to propagate.

Any advice on how to do it best?

Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 14 2005,1:54)]Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.
Can it be done by leaf cutting? I'm not ready to transplant it yet.

Scott,
I've propagated other binata before by leaf cuttings with great results. Go for it!

Capslock

I've propogated 'extrema'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: To use single quotes around a name signifies that it is a valid, registered, cultivar. Since this is not the case here the correct name is Drosera binata (extrema)]</span> by leaf cuttings before. I cut a piece a couple of inches long and buried both ends, making sure that the middle section was flat on the medium. I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but it worked.

That's the same approach I was taught to use for D. filiformis.

Some binatas<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to; Drosera binata (spelling changes made to species names to indicate plural tense are incorrect, species names are formulated to be both singular and plural intrinsically)]</span> are fincky when it comes to leaf cuttings (like mine). You may have to cut part of the non-cp leaf and lay the whole thing on the medium. But the cp part is the part that will grow more plants.

Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 14 2005,1:54)]Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.
I have six 1" to 1.25" root segments, buried horizontally under 0.5" of peat. I don't have any live sphagnum moss.

Should this do the trick?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 15 2005,8:55)]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.
What species have you done this with?

Also, pertaining to your suggestion of the proper name,  D. binata (multifida extrema):  Peter D'Amato lists it as D. multifida 'extrema'.  Is this incorrect?  Are both correct, but one preferred?

I assume, then, that the proper name for another related plant is D. binata (dichotoma), rather than D. dichotoma?

You are also welcome to suggest name corrections to my grow list, as well, if you have time...

Actually the parenthesis is my preferred method of annotating additional descriptive terms that are otherwise technically invalid as plant names. Even simply separating the correct name from the descriptive terms with a comma would work too, e.g. Drosera binata, dichotoma would be just as acceptable. I am just trying to encourage all of us to be aware of how confusion could cause us all more trouble than we need.

For shame that so many CP nurseries also promulgate this misinformation by generating their own unofficial names, misspellings, and general sloppy naming of their products. Sure, with the general status of things it is hard to hold them entirely responsible for an occasional naming error, but I think all of us should try a little harder to be more careful.

I'm not sure, but I believe that when Peter wrote his book it was still believed that there were varieties and forms of Drosera binata. Subsequently, for various reasons, that nomenclature was determined to be invalid and Drosera binata was reduced to the type, Drosera binata. I have heard that taxonomists have attempted to straighten out the situation with Drosera binata, but it hasn't happened yet.

Of course there are many variations in the Drosera binata "complex", but we horticulturists only have one venue to address this, other than that discussed above. That is to register them as cultivars. In this way at least the names and plants could be preserved and identified more accurately.
smile.gif

AFAIK, the ICPS database lists only two registered cultivars of D. binata:
Drosera 'Giant' (D'Amato); Registered 11. 6. 1999
Drosera 'Marston Dragon' (Hort.Slack); Registered 29. 1. 2001

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Simply take a few roots, chop them into 1-inch lengths, put them in some live sphagnum, keep moist, warm, and well-lighted -- then stand back. You should have lots of plants in a while.

I have six 1" to 1.25" root segments, buried horizontally under 0.5" of peat. I don't have any live sphagnum moss.

Should this do the trick?

That should be fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.

What species have you done this with?

I have done this successfully with D. binata (dichotoma)

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 15 2005,8:55)]Even flower stalks cut into pieces and submerged in a glass of purified water and kept in good light will produce plantlets.
Can you provide more info? My D. binata (multifida extrema) has a flower stalk now; I'm planning to clip it. Cut into 1" segments or longer? Just submerge in distilled water and keep under bright light? How long til I see evidence of new growth?

Hold up there, varmint! Did you say the leaf was BURIED 1/2 inch deep? Won't get any plants that way if you buried them. Lay them flat on the soil surface. Cover only the ends of the cut leaf. I hope I misunderstood you. Otherwise, start over!

Easily produce more Drosera binata by floating leaves and flower stalks that are cut into pieces and floated in clear glasses of purified water kept in good light. All forms seem to respond the same. The time it takes before you see plantlets form varies, 2 weeks -- 2 months, approximately. I especially like this because it is easy to see the status of your cutting material and view any progress. Leaves usually produce more plantlets, but smaller, while flower stalk segments produce fewer, but larger plantlets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Mar. 28 2005,12:24)]Hold up there, varmint! Did you say the leaf was BURIED 1/2 inch deep? Won't get any plants that way if you buried them. Lay them flat on the soil surface. Cover only the ends of the cut leaf. I hope I misunderstood you. Otherwise, start over!
No, the ROOT segment was buried 1/2" deep. I also have some leaf cuttings (D. capensis, D. capillaris) laid out on the soil surface.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Mar. 28 2005,1:50)]Easily produce more Drosera binata by floating leaves and flower stalks that are cut into pieces and floated in clear glasses of purified water kept in good light. All forms seem to respond the same. The time it takes before you see plantlets form varies, 2 weeks -- 2 months, approximately. I especially like this because it is easy to see the status of your cutting material and view any progress. Leaves usually produce more plantlets, but smaller, while flower stalk segments produce fewer, but larger plantlets.
Well, I'll be trying this tonight with the flower stalk. I should get 6 or 7 one inch segments out of it. I'll float them in distilled water and see how they do.

Has anybody ever tried adding rooting hormone, superthrive or any other additive to the water? What was the result?

I'll have to try an experiment someday...

Back