Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Whoooo! cuttings a success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.
    These are the first successful cuttings i have had of drosera. I have two D. binata (dichotoma) (format?)[Edit: please do not use single quotes for anything but valid cultivar names. This should read: Drosera binata (dichotoma)] cuttings sprouted and planted (just barely noticable roots.) And three D. capensis cuttings sprouted and planted, these have a bit larger roots.
    I'm happy!
    Dave [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, by the way, i had a capensis[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis] flowering, and i shook the closed flower and some stuff came out. What do capensis[Edit: corrected spelling, Drosera capensis] seeds look like?

Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TunaSurprise @ Mar. 15 2005,9:32)]Hi all.
    These are the first successful cuttings i have had of drosera. I have two D. binata 'dichotoma' (format?) cuttings sprouted and planted (just barely noticable roots.) And three D. capensis cuttings sprouted and planted, these have a bit larger roots.
    I'm happy!
    Dave [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Could you describe your process, please?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding. Congratulations. One of the greater joys of growing plants, making more plants.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true Pingman.

My process:
    1. Take scissors.
    2. remove leaf.
    3. place leaf in water OR place leaf in wet peat with a small depression place in soil through depression, and cover that with a bit of soil to aid in keeping the cutting watered.
    4. wait
    5. wait
    6. remove plantlets by removing cut leaf and cutting off the leaf around the cutting leaving a few millimeters around it.
    7. place in new home

BTW Pingman, i knew it probably wasn't correct in the first place, so i put (format?) in to ask.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steps 4 and 5 seem to be the key to making cuttings [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

So far I've only gotten D.filiformis and MAYBE D.slackii (maybe for 2 reasons, one I don't know if that's truly what the plant is, and secondly I'm not entirely sure that it is a rooted cutting, might actually be a plant that came from the roots)

D.filiformis seems to actually want to have leaf cuttings taken, somehow, I know I'm repeating that as soon as the just-outta-dormancy leaves are long enough again...
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TunaSurprise,

I realized that, I just wanted to include an explanation.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A