What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew binata..

Hi guys. Im new at this. I just bought my first plant VFT on Monday. I found this site VERY useful and helpful with everyone helping each other. now my quesiton is.. I found a picture of the Sundew Binata. I LOVE it a lot. Can I put this plant with my VFT? I have the vft in a 2 1/2 gal tank right now. and where can I get the SUndew Binata? Would anyone happen to have donations for me? Thanks everyone for your help!

Hey guy

Welcome to the forums! I dont see any problems with that for you're climate.
Both plants require dormancy so would make good pot-mates. I even have a few D. Capensis<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, D. capensis]</span>, and D. Adelae's<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, D. adelae there are no apostrophies or extra "s" endings on species names]</span> in with my VFTs some examples

PM me you're details and I will send you a D. Binata<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, D. binata]</span> Got a few pots overgrown.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ Mar. 17 2005,10:23)]Hey guy

Welcome to the forums! I dont see any problems with that for you're climate.
Both plants require dormancy so would make good pot-mates. I even have a few D. Capensis, and D. Adelae's in with my VFTS some examples

PM me you're details and I will send you a D. Binata Got a few pots overgrown.
Hey ZAK

Did your N. x miranda come from Kroger?

Do you grow it outside year-round?

Actually I bought it here at PFT during the sale. There was a shortage before I got mine so I ended up waiting 2 Mo. for it. Phil made it right though, he sent me two large Mirandas in a pot. I don't have a photo of my Coccinea, but I bought that one at Krogers for something stupid like $16 It has two very mature plants with about 5 small rosetts in the center.

I usually bring them in on cold nights. I had them growing under a Pecan tree but I don't live there any more. Now they sit under a West facing eve. Not the best place fot them I think. But I'll be moving again soon.

We've got to get together sometime. Maybe with Mike at Jessie H. Jones Sometime soon. I'd love to see how his greenhouse is doing.

D. binata does not require a dormancy, does it? I thought it was optional...

Cheers,

Joe

PS ZAK, love your quote from "The Princess Bride."

D. Binata<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, D. binata, the second part of a species name is always written in lower case]</span> will do fine with or without a dormancy. Seeing how J83 wants to incorporate this into a pot of VFT's I figure it will get one.

Thanks on the quote. I have two young daughters and they love that...... AWWW who am I kidding I LOVE that show. Saw it at the movies when it first came out. Just ahhhh... don't tell anyone
smile_m_32.gif

my D. binata does fine without a true dormancy but it did look kind of ratty for a few months this winter when it decided to take a break, a sorta pseudo-dormancy. it kicked it back into high gear 3 weeks or so ago and looks good again

Remember that D. binata clones range from near alpine to tropical climates. I have found that some of my clones never go completely dormant even at temps near freezing while other clones die back to the roots as soon as the photoperiod shortens sufficiently, irrespective of continued warm temps. I have not tried keeping these under artificially extended long photoperiod, however.

The ones I'm going to send have been growing in my terrium well. They are the only ones left in there. I had a pot of the same (same leaf cutting) covered in 5in. of snow (yes Galveston Co. received 6 to 12 in of snow Christmas eve) in Dec. al the leaves turned black for ovious reasons but It's going crazy now.

Wow... seems like if these plants go bad, they could grow back.. I guess this is the same for all plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jlui83 @ Mar. 18 2005,6:20)]Wow... seems like if these plants go bad, they could grow back.. I guess this is the same for all plants.
Drosera binata is indestructable. It will take high temperatures, low humidity, full blazing sun, cold, if you accidently let it dry out for a couple days it will rebound from the roots (dont ask me why I know that last part so well lol).

I got a HUGE bag of cuttings of D. binata at New Years that I didnt have enough space to pot, what was left sat in that plastic bag for two and a half months, unpotted, unwatered, totally ignored and left for dead. Not only did they not die, they had new leaves opening inside the bag.

If there is a way to kill this plant, I dont know it.. lol

Good luck
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 18 2005,12:08)]if you accidently let it dry out for a couple days it will rebound from the roots (dont ask me why I know that last part so well lol).
Not only will they rebound from the roots if you let them dry
out, the will grow from the roots out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pots.....er....or....so....I was told. *gives quick shifty looks and darts back into main thread selection*

hahaha.. good to know

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ Mar. 17 2005,11:55)]We've got to get together sometime. Maybe with Mike at Jessie H. Jones Sometime soon. I'd love to see how his greenhouse is doing.
Definitely! Mike and I are tentatively planning a bog expedition in April.

Hey does anyone live in Virginia? hehe

LOL! I can just see PinguiculaMan pulling every hair on his head out!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Remember that D. binata clones
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my D. binata does fine without a true dormancy
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Drosera binata is indestructable.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] got a HUGE bag of cuttings of D. binata at New Years
it's D. binata or Drosera binata.

Well part of me understands the need for correct usage. Part of me will always call S. leucophylla = leucos, further more spats, oreos, neps, sarrs,pings, ect.
smile.gif
potato, potahto. In my own defense I generate state manifests on a daily basis, and every word is capatalized.

Alright, so if what i hear is correct. D. Binata is an easy plant to keep. Even when conditions are bad they can still be kept alive. They just need, bright light (sun), water, and humidity. I guess pretty much like VFTs

Put it on a sunny window sill and it just glistens!

hehehe will do. I should be getting mine Fri or Saturday, Thanks to ZAK (justin):)

Back