What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis flowering

I have had this capensis plant for about 8 months now, and it is flowering now! This is the first time I have had a capensis flower for me. The tips of the leaves don't quite unfurl all the way though. The "tentacles" stay inside like when they are forming. Is that normal for them when they are flowering?

I'll probably let it flower this time, but i have read they can flower themselves to death if you let them. So I will probably cut the future scapes off.

- Joel

Hehe they wont flower themselves to death.. they will flower (and seedling) YOU to death. Its not uncommon for D. capensis to send up stalk after stalk in good conditions. It doesnt "hurt" the plant, but it does draw away energy that the plant could be using to form new leaves. I generally clip flower stalks on D. capensis as soon as I see them.

Cheers
Steve

I have observed from my own capensis that they look a bit haggard from the flowering, but not unto death - like a VFT that hasn't been through dormancy and getting only window sill light. I have also observed that with my profusely flowering P. primulifolra. Then they recover.

Back