What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae blooming

D.%20adelae%20blooming.JPG

Taken with my crappy old 2.1 megapixel Olympus D510.

What I wouldn't give for a Canon EOS 20D... *drool*

Congratulations! And what did you do to deserve this? Most of us get plantlets and have to live through its "playing 'possum".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 20 2005,3:37)]Congratulations! And what did you do to deserve this? Most of us get plantlets and have to live through its "playing 'possum".
I moved it to my grow chamber... it seems to like it there. It is producing plantlets quite prolifically.

Could you describe your grow chamber or provide a picture? Is there higher humidity, temp, or light? Wht are its conditions?

Well the D. prolifera I just got seems to be putting out a flower stalk, I am not sure yet though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 21 2005,5:08)]Could you describe your grow chamber or provide a picture? Is there higher humidity, temp, or light? Wht are its conditions?
light%20garden.JPG

The top shelf gets to 90 deg F at 50-60% humidity. It varies more or less linearly to the bottom shelf, which is 60-70 deg F and 40-50% humidity. Each shelf is lit by a pair of T-12 40 W bulbs (4100K color temp).

Very nice looking! Much better than my makeshift sheliving with plastic pipette containers and strips of 2 x 4's!

I don't have a way to post pictures, but my D. adelae just went it to bloom, as well.  One of the two flower stalks has about 25 buds/flowers on it.

The plant is one I got for $3 at Lowe's in a 2 or 3" square pot last year.

For the record, these are my growing conditions:

5" round pot sitting in a bowl.  This is filled with water to near the pot's rim, refilled when the water level drops near the bottom of the bowl.  The soil is equal parts sand to peat. The plant is growing about 4 inches below 4 standard 40 watt fluorescent lights.  It is just growing in the open air, no terriarium or anything like that.

On a separate note, I am amazed at the speed at which this thing grows and spreads!  It is already in need of a larger pot.  I would love to put a single plant in a 12" pot and watch as it carpeted the entire thing with plantlets.

I grow mine as a terrarium plant. Too bad it isn't flowering, but then, had I not submerged it underwater for two weeks, maybe...(mite damage in case you're wondering).

Yes, and I agree with the carpeting its entire pot thing. Mine started sending up plantlets...UNDERWATER! And I thought those were waterweeds...

Mine grew a flower stalk,then when that faded imediately there was another. But I got sick of the little flowers so know I clip`em. I think the seceret is growing them so that they are only 1 in, under 2 40watt bulbs.

Is it just me, or is the color of the plant kinda pale?

Back