What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. stolonifera ssp. stolonifera germination advice

ICPS seedbank has this to say:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_auriculata.htm

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/D_scarification.htm

Does anybody here have any advice on how best to germinate these suckers?

I live in Houston. I have a growth chamber that gets up to 90 deg F on the top shelf.

For those who have successfully germinated the seeds of this particular variety,

* what size pot did you use?
* what soil mix
* pre-germination conditions?
* how you did the warm stratification
* scarify or not?
* photoperiods?
* carefully controlled terrarium conditions, or outside, and let nature do its thing? (I'd be afraid our frequent torrential rain would wash away seeds...)
*anything else?

Pot size: As deep as possible...
Soil mix: peat:sand:perlite 1:2:1 or another mix with good drainage works well.
Pre germination conditions: let the seeds bake outdoors over the summer and they should germinate when the weather cools down in the winter. No need for scarification.
Photoperiod: Outdoors works well. The photoperiod should not be too long over winter.

Cover the pot if it is going to rain very hard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP2k @ Mar. 21 2005,6:52)]Pot size: As deep as possible...
Soil mix: peat:sand:perlite 1:2:1 or another mix with good drainage works well.
Pre germination conditions: let the seeds bake outdoors over the summer and they should germinate when the weather cools down in the winter. No need for scarification.
Photoperiod: Outdoors works well. The photoperiod should not be too long over winter.

Cover the pot if it is going to rain very hard.
When do you recommend sowing?

Is that soil ratio by weight or volume?

I sowed some stolonifera seeds in the spring a couple of years ago and they germinated in the middle of winter after heavy rains. Sow during the spring or summer. Soil is by volume(isn't this always the case?). Looks like you are in for a long wait...Otherwise, I magine that you can artificially mimic the weather by placing the seeds on a heat mat for a while and than sowing the seeds under cool conditions and cold nights with regular overhead watering.

I would not use perlite. If you dry out the pots after the first growing season, the perlite could desiccate the tubers. Its a common problem and I would use a mix with more sand or grit but not perlite.

Cheers,
Jan

Back