What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis var. filiformis florida all red

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I will be trying this myself but wondered if any has done it already. I recieved seed today from the ICPS, D. filiformis var. filiformis Florida all Red. On the packet it says no stratification, no winter dormancy. I wish I would have known about the dormancy as my space is limited. I was going to add the seed to my mini bog which all the plants in it go dormant.
I guess I will plant some in a pot and some in my mini bog and see if the ones in the mini bog can tolerate dormancy and wake up next year.
I guess what I'm asking, has anyone placed this plant into dormancy before and what was the success?

Steve, I can tell you that I received filiformis (all red) last Fall. I just sowed them in the pipette container and put them on the window sill. Nothin happened until a few weeks ago. The temp was in the 60's ofr the winter and I was just letting the natural photoperiod - or lack thereof - do its thing. It is now teeming with seedlings. But I don't KNOW what is the best way to handle them.  
confused.gif

They might need sratification. But just cool not cold as usual. They do go semi-dormant, like filiformis ssp. tracyi. Basically treat it the same way as tracyi. I am not sure why people say it does not go dormant because it dores, but may not lose all its leaves. Note temps below 26 for long periods of time (several days) will kill 'All Red' just as it will kill tracyi. They will grow like capillaris from Fl or anyother 'Dew' From Florida

Back