What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When should i pick my seeds?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey all, my D. spatulata is just about done flowering and seems to have set seed. Of course, I've never had a Drosera go to seed before, so I don't know what I'm looking for, but a few of the spent flower buds have swollen at the base to an almost spherical shape, and the older ones are starting to get a pink/red hue. So when should I pick them? I'd like to keep the seeds out of the nearby pots, which have much less prolific plants in them. They don't fling their seeds like clovers, do they?
Thanks,
~Joe

I usually take the entire plant and hold the flower scapes over a small plate or a piece of white paper and tap them out. Drosera seeds are VERY small. They will look like tiny black specks. Ususlly not all flowers will be ready to harvest at the same time so you will have to repeat the process every few days till you get them all.

Good luck
Steve

The Dawnstar supremacy

Sorry I could tell you but I'm lazy
smile_n_32.gif

Nice, thanks guys. I knew I could have found it if I looked but I'm lazy too! :)
~Joe

Geez, I need to read more of these articles...I've been waiting for the entire stem to turn brown before I harvest...I never get anything...I guess becuase they've already flung them all over my terrarium!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Dawnstar supremacy

LOL!
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, do like steve/dawnstar supremacy said, or another method is to cut the stalk when half the pods turn brown or wait till all the pods turn brown, but then as Tamlin said you run the risk of your spatulata flinging the seeds whatever it wants to. This method will save you loads of time. Personally I prefer the collecting over a few days, but then I can't help spending tons of time on my plants...

Or you could forget about the seeds, mine carpet the entire pot from one plant within half a year, to the point of killing themselves due to overcrowding. Still, a carpet of spatulatas is a beautiful sight to behold.
smile.gif

Back