Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yippee!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weed! D. adelae is a weed in my opinion! A very pleasant weed, but it spreads like crazy.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Btw, how should I grow D.adelae? Under florescent lights? Or out there in the open?

How much light can it take?

*photos coming soon
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I live in Texas and I grow mine outside year round. I've found for me they do best in 100% LFS. All the D. adelae I've had in a 50/50 peat sand mix have gone belly up!

In my case Jimscott they weren't playing opossum they were playing "middle of the road-feet in the air-Armadillo" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Mar. 29 2005,7:39)]Btw, how should I grow D.adelae? Under florescent lights? Or out there in the open?

How much light can it take?

*photos coming soon
    Last year, I had my D. adelae growing outside in the shade of a tree. It did fine.

I now have it under fluorescent lights in a grow chamber, with 60%+ humidity. It loves it! It sent up flowers to reward me, and spread all over the huge pot it was planted in.

D. adelae are supposed to be more tolerant of bright light than the other 2 related australian sundews, according to Peter D'Amato. But I have no experience with the other 2, so i can't say from experience.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ZAK @ Mar. 29 2005,10:48)]Well I live in Texas and I grow mine outside year round. I've found for me they do best in 100% LFS. All the D. adelae I've had in a 50/50 peat sand mix have gone belly up!

In my case Jimscott they weren't playing opossum they were playing "middle of the road-feet in the air-Armadillo" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I grow mine in 50/50 peat/sand, with a little LFS thrown in as well.

They are thriving. Perhaps they'd be even more of a weed in 100% LFS!
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant you saw is grown as a terrarium plant - obviously it is not looking the best of shape since the mite attack and treatment (submersion underwater).

I grow it in pure LFS and under compact fluorescents with the humidity at a level typical of that of a terrarium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As promised, here are the babies... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Cindy

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How cute!

I used to have a lot of problems with D. adelae, but I started growing them in larger pots with pure LFS and kept very wet. And now I have no problems. Adelae[Edit: correct to read -> D. adelae, the second part of the binomial species name is never written in upper case nor separated from, at least the abbreviated genus name, because when the two are not together it is like only having your first name on your driver's license, not a very accurate way to identify someone.] prefers lower light...although if grown in bright light, they will turn a bronzy red.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast