What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yippee!

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I posted earlier to find if D.adelae roots will produce new plants. They are only about one twentieth of an inch thick... (I think I mentioned earlier that they are a tenth of an inch but they are actually thinner)...

New plants are sprouting!! Cool!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Nice. I have one little plantlet going up from my D. adelae, and my main plant is waking up from it's possum act. We both have something to drink to.
smile.gif

PAR-TAY

Congrats, Cindy! *must see pictures*

That is very cool that you can actually cut roots and get them to grow. D. adelae is a very odd plant! LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Congrats, Cindy! *must see pictures*

I second that!
smile_n_32.gif

you can do it with alot of drosera<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to Drosera, genus names are always capitalized.]</span>, wesley.

Well, yea I know but I've just never really thought about it, but then again when you have all those little babies pop up next to the mother plant you kinda assume as much.

Without root cuttings I wouldnt have a lot of the dews I have now.

Thought I'd just throw in one of mine now:

DSCN5707.thumb.jpg

and a pic of the parent plant after it was submerged underwater for two weeks - don't ask...

DSCN5710_001.thumb.jpg

Ahhh, now it seems obvious to reproduce D.adelae by root cuttings. Hmmm, so where do those tiny plantlets which pop up next to the mother plant come from? Nope, not from the soil, not from a non-existent bulb or underground tuber...ahhh they must come from the roots of course!
smile.gif

Weed! D. adelae is a weed in my opinion! A very pleasant weed, but it spreads like crazy.

Btw, how should I grow D.adelae? Under florescent lights? Or out there in the open?

How much light can it take?

*photos coming soon

Well I live in Texas and I grow mine outside year round. I've found for me they do best in 100% LFS. All the D. adelae I've had in a 50/50 peat sand mix have gone belly up!

In my case Jimscott they weren't playing opossum they were playing "middle of the road-feet in the air-Armadillo"
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Mar. 29 2005,7:39)]Btw, how should I grow D.adelae? Under florescent lights? Or out there in the open?

How much light can it take?

*photos coming soon
Last year, I had my D. adelae growing outside in the shade of a tree. It did fine.

I now have it under fluorescent lights in a grow chamber, with 60%+ humidity. It loves it! It sent up flowers to reward me, and spread all over the huge pot it was planted in.

D. adelae are supposed to be more tolerant of bright light than the other 2 related australian sundews, according to Peter D'Amato. But I have no experience with the other 2, so i can't say from experience.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ Mar. 29 2005,10:48)]Well I live in Texas and I grow mine outside year round. I've found for me they do best in 100% LFS. All the D. adelae I've had in a 50/50 peat sand mix have gone belly up!

In my case Jimscott they weren't playing opossum they were playing "middle of the road-feet in the air-Armadillo"  
smile_m_32.gif
I grow mine in 50/50 peat/sand, with a little LFS thrown in as well.

They are thriving. Perhaps they'd be even more of a weed in 100% LFS!

The plant you saw is grown as a terrarium plant - obviously it is not looking the best of shape since the mite attack and treatment (submersion underwater).

I grow it in pure LFS and under compact fluorescents with the humidity at a level typical of that of a terrarium.

As promised, here are the babies...
smile.gif

root_cutting1.jpg

root_cutting2.jpg

How cute!

I used to have a lot of problems with D. adelae, but I started growing them in larger pots with pure LFS and kept very wet. And now I have no problems. Adelae<span style='color:red'>[Edit: correct to read -> D. adelae, the second part of the binomial species name is never written in upper case nor separated from, at least the abbreviated genus name, because when the two are not together it is like only having your first name on your driver's license, not a very accurate way to identify someone.]</span> prefers lower light...although if grown in bright light, they will turn a bronzy red.

And to think it is the "lance leaf sundew". I was surprised when mine had that round leaf look - and it was growing oh so slowly.

Many years ago I grew some outside in San Diego, California. They became very dark red and a few grew larger than the 1 gallon pot of peat moss they were planted in.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 30 2005,4:11)]And to think it is the "lance leaf sundew". I was surprised when mine had that round leaf look - and it was growing oh so slowly.
Same here. I think if you grow it only under moderate light the tentacles only become red...never tried to grow it under strong light though - thought they wouldn't like it. Say does anyone know when people say D.adelae doesn't like the light, is it the light or heat that they are sensitive to. I guess either way you could probably acclimate it to grow under strong light.

Man I never knew D.adelae could grow that large until pingman proved it.
smile.gif

Cindy - I love the second photo with the baby adelae against the white background...make sure the live LFS monster above it doesn't consume it though.
smile_m_32.gif

Here is a poor quality pic of mine. It is finally starting to thrive after going through thick and thin.

D.Adelae.jpg

Back